[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4721: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4723: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4724: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4725: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
New MMBforums • View topic - Image Layers in Menu?

Image Layers in Menu?

DVD-lab, DVD-lab Studio and DLP2

Image Layers in Menu?

Postby LGO » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm trying to build a multi-image (PNG files with alpha channel) scene in a main menu background and have a overlay video (with alpha channel) in the midst of them.

The main image is NTSC 720x480 16:9, but some of the other PNGs are different sizes.

Is it possible to have multiple layers in a menu background? I've been reading the PDF help file and can't seem to find where it answers this question, one way or the other.

Whenever I I add a PNG onto a menu with one already there, it simply covers it and I can't resize it or relocate it to a certain part of the screen.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

LGO
LGO

Re: Image Layers in Menu?

Postby Vapymid » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:26 am

Vapymid

Postby LGO » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:19 pm

LGO

Postby Vapymid » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 am

Vapymid

Postby LGO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Okay, Vapy, I made the background video in my NLE and it works great. HOWEVER, now I can't get ANY text objects or buttons to show when I test or compile the DVD. It doesn't matter if the text were the links by themselves, or if the button was the link (and text was just text). The only thing that shows on the menu is the background video. Even tried starting a new menu from scratch and putting in background video first. Merging object to background does nothing either (yea, I know, it's not for motion menus but I was trying everything! :lol: ).

The HELP manual doesn't address motion menus much on this - I followed the instructions step by step - and of course there's not much on this version of the Forums that covers this.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Lost in MotionMenuLand,

LGO
LGO

Postby LGO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:47 pm

EDIT - Okay, I need to take a rest. Found the answer in the HELP. Don't know how I missed it 496 times, but I did. I adjusted the State Slider in the properties for the text objects/links. Works like a champ. Ignore, below.

I need a drink . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Okay, started from scratch again and began a new "test" project solely to get this menu stuff figured out. Imported the video for the motion menu, and two short vids to use for links. Inserted video for menu as background video. Put two text objects onto menu - MOVIE1 and MOVIE2 - and then linked them to the two short movies. Both are set to "visible" in the link tab.

When I test or compile the DVD project, only MOVIE1 button shows. I can use the down arrow and MOVIE1 object disappears while MOVIE2 object appears, but they're never showing at the same time. Only one text object/link shows at one time.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . .

I've done one project with motion menu before, and it was just three text objects with links, but I don't recall have a hard time like this to get it to work.

Pulling hair out now . . .
LGO

Postby LGO » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:36 am

Vapy . . . Guess I should have mentioned this. Didn't think about it until now, and checking the Mediachance site tells me that my problems might be solved.

I'm using ver. 1.53 of DVD Lab Pro. I see one of the improvements in upgrades since 1.53 is that there's the "BOV" (Button over video) capability. I will be spending the $50 for the upgrade in the morning.

Guess I have to wonder about the future of DVD Lab Pro. From what I've read on these Forums, it seems like Oscar is letting this die out as he has with other software due to market conditions. While I certainly understand his position, I was really sad about losing MMB a few years ago. Hope the same doesn't happen to DVDLP, too!

Regards,

LGO
LGO

Postby Vapymid » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 pm

I am trying to figure out why you are having these difficulties and I still think you are missing the "render motion" step.

Check this in the help: http://mediachance.com/dvdlab/Help/render.htm

Regards
Vapymid

Postby LGO » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Vapy . . .

I did the "render motion" step today and everything seems to be working out. Working through the hide/show steps for the icons next to each choice, but think I've almost got that done.

Why all the difficulties? Hmmmmm, I think part of it is I used MMB so many years and am used to dropping all types of objects all over the screen and having them work. Guess I subconsciously thought it work the same on DVDLP. Honestly, I have been reading the HELP portion but not having done a bit more complex menu before, I've been floundering. Given enough time I can figure things out on my own (usually), but trying to get this all wrapped up by the weekend. Damn Day Job keeps getting in the way!

Upgraded to version 2.51 this morning and found the BOV (Button Over Video) feature was nothing that I thought it was. :o (<---- Typical for me). But I see some other features (like a separate, looping audio for the menus) that are perfect for what I'm wanting to do.

Thanks, again, for your input!

Regards,

LGO
LGO

Postby NFAtoys » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 am

Guys, this discussion really has me thinking about the PROCESS of creating motion menus. I've only done two of these. But I can't help thinking I'm not doing it the best or most effective and efficient way. Looking at the Media Chance Help on motion menus does provide some information. But, it is very shallow and really skims over the PROCESS.

For example, let me describe the following motion menu scenario, which I think may be typical for many menus. The motion menu would consist of the following elements.

1. A video clip prepared offline in a NLE that has three segments. A lead-in segment, a segment that will loop while displayed in the menu, and a lead-out segment that fades out the video after a menu selection has been made.

2. Menu items such as Graphics, Text, underlines, etc. that are created and added in DLP.

3. Special effects applied to the above items in the Render Motion option dialog. This would include fading in the menu items added in step two, and performing special effects such as applying a fade to the loop region of the menu video so the end of the loop area fades into the start of the loop region.

4. Rendering the motion menu video, and performing any final steps to the overall process.

In all of the previous discussions I've seen on this forum, much has been said about the individual steps outlined above, but I've never seen a comprehensive description of the work-flow of the overall process of creating a motion menu. For example what may be better included in step one, rather than added in step two? And what are the DLP settings in the motion menu dialog to get the effects described in step three? And finally, after rendering motion, is it necessary to perform any further editing in the NLE on the motion video?

All of this is the Work-Flow of the Process of creating a motion menu, and includes all four steps shown above. And this is where I think many people (including myself) experience some amount of confusion. Does anyone know of an example project with detailed documentation, or at least a comprehensive document that describes this overall process?

Thanks.
NFAtoys

Return to DVD-lab Authoring