PC Dependent DVD Compilation Results with DVD LAB PRO 2

DVD-lab, DVD-lab Studio and DLP2

PC Dependent DVD Compilation Results with DVD LAB PRO 2

Postby peterlloyd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:12 pm

I have a very large project which is growing by the year. It consists of an archive of scanned 35mm slides projected onto DVD menus together with navigation objects and captioning. I have been using DLP for years to support the project. For the first time, I have observed inconsistent behavior of DLP between two PCs operating with the same DLP version (2.51 Compiler 4.215) on the same operating system (Windows 7 x64 “Ultimate”). The inconsistency observed is in the behavior of a single menu out of several thousand. I create these menus (slides) 100 at a time using a lab-TALK script which loads the slide scans and adds the navigation and annotation objects into a DLP project.
The inconsistent behavior is that project compilation on PC #1 results in normal expected behavior of the resulting DVD, whereas on PC #2, one menu in the project is compiled so that the resulting DVD has no object visibility. Yet all associated actions function correctly with these invisible objects.
To simplify my study of this problem, I have made a small test project. It has a DAL file of about 35 MB. I believe that both PCs have more than sufficient virtual memory and other resources to support this small project. I have searched DLP on both machines for differences in compilation settings and not found any. I have not observed any “out of memory” problems during compilation with this project.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ASAP!!!
peterlloyd

Re: PC Dependent DVD Compilation Results with DVD LAB PRO 2

Postby peterlloyd » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:40 am

I uninstalled and reinstalled DLP version (2.51 Compiler 4.215) on the machine which had created the singleton menu with invisible objects. There was no change in the result. So I am wondering if the compilation in DLP is using other PC resources which may differ from PC to PC! HELP!!!

Peter
peterlloyd

Postby Vapymid » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 pm

I had similar problems occasionally when the project contained many menues AND the menues had complex graphics, all within one VTS.

I was usually able to solve this by spreading the menues across several VTSs or by using simpler to compress graphics (e.g. slightly blurred, fewer smaller detailed elements etc).

Regards
Vapymid

Postby peterlloyd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Vapymid,
Thanks for your feedback. What is surprising is that the behavior is reproducible in the small (100 menus)and in the large (4000+ menus) and there is just one tiny identical video clip per VTS . Only the small DAL file (34MB) and the video (17MB FBI warning) must be passed from one PC to the other to do the small experiment. This is a super problem for a computer scientist but with Alan Turing level capabilities! I am still searching for a way for the DLP compiler to create two different DVD Volumes on my two PCs with the same W7 x64 operating system. I continue to speculate that compilation in DLP is using PC resources which may differ from PC to PC. This concern just deepened when I did the small experiment on a third PC which is hardware, software and operating system identical to the PC which produced the singleton menu (1out of 100) with the incorrect invisible objects result . I have run the small experiment many times and it always produces the same incorrect inconsistent result on the second PC. I have just reduced the complexity to one 1VTS, 1 movie, 1 VMGmenu and 3 VTS menus including the singleton slide which had in the earlier experiments invisible objects on the indicted PC. The DAL file for this is <1MB . THE RESULTS ARE UNCHANGED from the larger experiments!

Regards. I am hoping for a key thought from your treasure trove.
Peter
peterlloyd

Postby Vapymid » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:11 pm

This is strange, to say the least.

Did you do the small size test with a DAL created from blank project or did you edit the longer one down? Maybe the project file got corrupted?

DVDLab is 32 bit only, maybe there are different settings on your 64-bit machines to run 32-bit applications?

Are the graphics cards identical on both machines? Try switching off hardware acceleration on the one that is giving the problem and recompile again.

Do all of the machines have the same fonts installed?

Regards
Vapymid

Return to DVD-lab Authoring