Color Map Not Visible; I Can't Find It [SOLVED]

DVD-lab, DVD-lab Studio and DLP2

Color Map Not Visible; I Can't Find It [SOLVED]

Postby OldFangle » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi

Windows 10, DVD-Lab Pro 2.52

I just upgraded to 2.52 because the Color Map in 2.51 suddenly disappeared. Whatever the nature of my trouble, reading and following Help files, and spending over two hours left-clicking, right-clicking, on everything I could think of, with various keyboard keys sometimes in combination, has not managed to find the Color Map.

It seems simple, according to the docs: Activate a Menu's Simulatior, and then make settings in the Menu Property's Color Map area.
But the Color Map window isn't visible. And I can't remember how to open it.

When I toggle View > Menu Properties I see the corresponding icon change at the top of the Menu window, but the side panel never shows up. Left-clicking and right-clicking on the icon doesn't do anything.
I'm burnt; if I knew a special way of opening that window, which has always sat to the side of the Menu window, it's lost to me today.
Someone jog my memory about how to open this window, please?

Thanks
Last edited by OldFangle on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldFangle

Re: Color Map Not Visible; I Can't Find It

Postby OldFangle » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Addendum.

I uninstalled DVD-Lab Pro 2 and reinstalled v1.31. Its Color Map appeared as soon as I opened the program.

I noticed that v1.31 didn't prompt me for my Registration information, and it knew the directory where I'd been storing my .dal files : There's some kind of .ini file somewhere.
I've been trying to find that in case there's something in that startup file pertaining to the Color Map.

Does anyone know where DVDLab keeps such files? I couldn't find it by searching "mediachance" or "dvdlab" or checking today's date on files in various directories.

Thanks
OldFangle

Postby antonsvideo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:01 am

when you did have the color map in 2.51, were you using Win7 Win8 or Win10

I am not sure if DLP is Win10 compliant, but 2.52 works fine here in Win7
Anton Strauss
Antons Video Productions - Sydney
http://www.videoproductions.com.au
antonsvideo

Postby OldFangle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:38 am

Hello Anton

I've been using it with Windows 10, as recently as two months ago for a similar project.
Maybe there's a conflict with one of Windows 10's automatic updates since then. At some point another small update or patch might reverse the trouble.

Meanwhile...
Do you know where DVDLab versions tuck their ".ini" files, and how they're named? I'm hoping there's an editable file that has a Color Map setting which can be changed. Failing that, I'd like to try a completely clean re-installation.

Cheers
OldFangle

Postby antonsvideo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:43 pm

there is no ini for that

I would uninstall and delete the folder if left behind in program files 86

then empty hidden Temp by creating new desktop shortcut with path: %Temp% (I empty it daily)

then update graphics card driver if not the latest

then install DVD Lab Pro 2.52
Anton Strauss
antonsvideo

Re: Color Map Not Visible; I Can't Find It SOLVED

Postby OldFangle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi Anton

Thanks for teaching me about the %temp% shortcut, that's going to be very useful.

It wasn't part of the solution in this case. While I was toying with settings in the Compatibility section, I discovered that if I simply check the box beside "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", the Properties Menu next appears when I open DVD Lab Pro 2 and click on the blank Menu in the Connections window.

I've checked that box to run a few old computer games; it wasn't my first thought when I went to the Compatibility section.

Thanks for stopping to help.
OF
OldFangle

Re: Color Map Not Visible; I Can't Find It [SOLVED]

Postby antonsvideo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 am

ahahhhh, you are using a larger than HD mon such as UHD (4k)

in which case, most old software such as DLP will spit the dummy
Anton Strauss
antonsvideo

Postby OldFangle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:04 am

Hi Anton

most old software such as DLP

That's confusing. When I reinstalled and tested DLP 1.31, its Properties Menu was visible. DLPs 2.51 and 2.52 had the problem.

Another thing I can't figure is why DLP 2.51 was working for a while, on Windows 10, before this problem spit-up. Maybe an automatic update changed some thing--ah, there's the ice cream headache starting. I'll stop here.

Anyway, thanks again.
OldFangle

Postby antonsvideo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 am

the answer is simple

when DLP was made, it was made for Win7 and earlier and the software is no longer updated for any new OS with daily updates that fix and break things

are you still able to roll back to Win7? if yes, I can assure that all will work perfect, you may also get it to work perfect in Win10 once you try a few things that I already suggested

another thing, make sure that desktop font scaling is at default 100% and not large or extra large
Anton Strauss
antonsvideo

Postby OldFangle » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi Anton

It was already working properly when I made that one change, pertaining to the monitor display. It runs without needing to be assigned compatibility with an earlier version, and I also don't need to Run As Administrator. All's well with just that one box checked.

I just hadn't realised DVD-Lab Pro 2's age.

Cheers
OldFangle

Return to DVD-lab Authoring