Urgent help please. DVD will not play in VLC

DVD-lab, DVD-lab Studio and DLP2

Re: Urgent help please. DVD will not play in VLC

Postby withnail » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks Anton - antivirus is disabled when compiling. Have included some attachments here.
withnail

Postby withnail » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:30 am

Hi Anton - thought I posted this earlier today but maybe didn't go through? The antivirus was disabled during compile and I've attached some attachments here
Attachments
Temp folder after crash.jpg
Temp folder after crash.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
Output folder after crash.jpg
Output folder after crash.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
compiler window.jpg
compiler window.jpg (169.44 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
compiler error.jpg
compiler error.jpg (138.02 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
withnail

Postby NFAtoys » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 am

Have you tried running a "TEST COMPILE" to try to isolate the problematic piece of media? The error message implies you are using a non-compliant media file.
Look in the DLP Help file for Compile information. Then scroll down until you see the Test Compile under Advanced Options.
NFAtoys

Postby antonsvideo » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:50 am

any reason why you are using floating windows? double click the menu header and all windows snap and will be easily controlled by tab switching

you have demux files ticked in compile window, untick this

your Temp disk and Output disks are almost full

if project is 16:9 be sure no menu has more than 18 menu actions per menu

when making screenshots, we don't need to see the desktop, use the Windows Snipping tool (Accessories) to just capture area of interest
Anton Strauss
Antons Video Productions - Sydney
http://www.videoproductions.com.au
antonsvideo

Postby withnail » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi everyone - thanks for the advice to date and here's where I'm at...

Firstly I moved the temp and output folders over to another internal drive with 200 gig free space and recompiled twice. There was no error message when compiling each time (compile was fast and seemed solid) but the disc still doesn't play well in VLC at all. Can confirm disc is widescreen content and menu plus each menu has 17 buttons or less.

I also did a test compile / burn and that disc loads and plays really well in VLC although I have not clicked on every single menu button and gone to every single chapter on the disc. all I did was randomly select about 10 buttons and tried those and all worked well.

Any further suggestions? I am considering taking the project to another computer and trying that, but there would be a bit of work involved.
withnail

Postby antonsvideo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:13 am

what software did you use for burning VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS? Imgburn or Nero Burning Rom?

do not use the DLP burner
Anton Strauss
antonsvideo

Postby withnail » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:19 am

Used DLP burner and Nero. No difference. But one thing I will say is that Nero no longer wants to burn multiple copies for me - I can only do a one copy burn in Nero before it crashes and I have to restart the computer if I want to use it again. I noticed this a few months ago and so I updated to latest version but no change - went back to my original 2014 version out of the box and still no change. Currently on the 2014 version.
withnail

Postby antonsvideo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:26 am

sounds like one of your burners is faulty
I use Nero Burning Rom 12 daily to burn multiple copies, no issues

on another PC I have Burning Rom 16 and it also works fine

make sure you choose the "DVD Video" Template for correct DVD
Anton Strauss
antonsvideo

Postby withnail » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 am

Hi thanks for all your help and advice so far. I have an update with the DLP burns. Here's what I've done so far...
1. Exported and created new Mpeg and .wav audio files based on the original source material and dropped that into DLP.
2. Double checked every chapter point and link. All OK.
3. Compiled the DVD and the compile does not crash anymore. Compile always seems to work fine.
4. Burnt the DVD using Nero 14 and the same issues still seem to persist. The DVD does actually function but it is incredibly slow to respond with VLC - the load time takes ages for the menu to appear and when it does the highlighted first button link, or any links don't appear. I have text as links that are supposed to appear as highlighted when you drift the mouse across but they don't illuminate. When I press one of the lines of text (because I know these are links) it does go to the correct movie chapter but if you hit 'next' to end the current chapter it takes a very long time to be returned to the menu. When it does go back to the menu the text highlights (links) do appear.
5. So I used an external burner but I still the same problems.
The only other information I think I can provide is that my DVD does have a lot of branch chapters, but I've done big projects before and this was never an issue. I managed to find a really old project's Output folders and burnt those to disc and once again the text which I have as a link did not illuminate but the disc did load very quickly and did function very well.

The final thing is, the disc works excellently in windows media player but my client insists that he wants it to work in VLC as well. And I agree with him it should work just fine there should be no reason why it's behaving the way it is. But there is a reason - somewhere in all that.
withnail

Postby antonsvideo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 pm

does the DVD work normal with a DVD player or Blu-ray player?

it could be just an issue with your VLC player. I don't use it

for testing DVD menus prior to burning, I use Total Media Theatre

Power DVD will also work
Anton Strauss
antonsvideo

PreviousNext

Return to DVD-lab Authoring