Query in ES6

All other Mediachance Apps

Query in ES6

Postby Ian Bell » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:01 am

Hi there,

I have a "weird" problem in ES6. I have dowloaded an.avi file. Japenese short film dubbed with a Thai soundtrack, and English subtiles. (Now! that's really International!)
The problem I am having, is that when the clip is played in Windows Media Player, there is no problem, sound is OK, subtitles showing. Everything works fine, but in ES6 there is NO sound whatsoever, AND no subtitles. I even uninstalled ES6 and reinstalled, (which fixed a previous problem that I asked about earlier). I want to export it to DVD via DVDLab Pro. There is no problem in that regard as far as the subtitles are concered as I do have an .srt file for them, though I'm not sure if they are timed for PAL (25fps) or NTSC.

Can someone explain why there is no sound and no subtitles?

Thanks in advance
Ian Bell

Re: Query in ES6

Postby Vapymid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:20 am

There must be something unusual with the audio stream that ES cannot handle - maybe a codec it doesn't like (like AAC).

The easiest thing is to extract the audio into an uncompressed WAV LPCM file and add it to the timeline. You can use AVIDemux for this or Super (a GUI for a bundle of various encoders/decoders).

If you want to edit the movie in any way - just link the video and audio items on the timeline and edit as usual.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby Ian Bell » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:52 am

Thanks Vap,

While I was waiting for an answer, I thought I would do a test compile in DVDLab Pro. I exported from ES6 as elementary streams (.mpv & .wav) then added as a simple movie only, converted the .wav to .ac3, edited the .srt file for 7 minutes, added as subtitles (.sp1). Did the compile, then tested in Power DVD. LO & BEHOLD the sound was there!

Also in the taskbar, bottom right, are 2 icons for ffdshow video decoder.

BTW. There are 2 clips that make up the film and each one has its own .srt file. The two clips have been combined in ES6 to make the complete movie.I assume there is no way both .srt files can be combined together. I guess I have to edit the 2nd one in Word allowing for adjustment in times as both of the .srt files start at zero.

Thanks again
Ian Bell

Postby Vapymid » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:03 pm

There are 2 clips that make up the film and each one has its own .srt file. The two clips have been combined in ES6 to make the complete movie.I assume there is no way both .srt files can be combined together.

Actually, if you render your 2 clips as separate movies and use multi-PGC title object in DVDLab you can add .SRT files without any need for time adjustments - DVDLab will time the subtitles relative to the start of each clip in the multi-PGC title.

Regards
Vapymid

Return to Other Mediachance Apps