Multiple Camera Synchronization Calculations

All other Mediachance Apps

Multiple Camera Synchronization Calculations

Postby benebrady » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but certainly not new to video editing. I've been doing editing in one fashion or another since I was 14 years old... (strictly analog then) and over the past 25 years or so I've used a plethora of video editing software "solutions"...
Currently, my editor ju jour is a product called EditStudio Pro 6.05 from http://www.mediachance.com/video/index.html and the reason I really like this program is that it is absolutely stellar in terms of editing multiple camera streams on the timeline. Unlike nearly all of the other products on the market, EditStudio does NON-DESTRUCTIVE multi-camera editing by virtue of a special 'multi-camera' track. In nearly every other product, you have to delete sections of your video stream in the timeline in order to display the content from the video stream below. In some cases, if you have more than 2 streams, you have to make cuts to 2 or 3 streams... With EditStudio, you simply add the multi-camera track to the project and move your timeline cursor to the point where you want any particular video content from any of your video streams to be displayed and click on the appropriate camera button assigned to the stream and a keyframe is deposited onto the multi-camera track that will tell the rendering engine when to switch video streams. The real beauty is that if you decide (or your client decides) that the cuts need to be changed for some reason, you simply disable the current multi-camera track and add a new one and apply new keyframes. No video is ever deleted from the timeline unless you specifically decide to delete part of the video stream for some other reason. This being said...

One of the 'harrowing' aspects of working with multiple camera or video streams, especially from cameras without any gen lock is you have to synchronize the video between one or more streams. Depending upon your method, this can be quite tedious, but even more tedious is doing the time calculations involved in determining how much to move your video streams right or left on the timeline relative to your 'primary' video stream. Of course which stream you decide to make your 'primary' stream is very arbitrary. It doesn't necessarily need to be the top video stream layer. Well, now the calculation of the various time offsets just got a whole lot easier. I got tired of doing all of these time calculations all the time and I decided to write a multi-camera synchronization calculator that allows you to calculate up to 4 video streams in just a few seconds... Here's a screen capture of one of my calculations:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/100694272626586933479/posts/dG5anAW8GEC

You can download the application from my Google Drive using the following link:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_SQanbi70umWGprSzFpcl9rbWM/edit?usp=sharing

The program is digitally signed with my certificate from Comodo. The software is free to use, however I do request a small donation if you find it useful and it saves you time.

As you can see, you first select your video standard and whether you want to use SMPTE time code formats or the format used in EditStudio Pro by default.
EditStudio uses the following format:
00h 00m 00s 000 The last 3 digits of the format are the number of milliseconds on the timeline.

SMPTE time code formats supported by the calculator are as follows:
00:00:00:00 and 00:00:00.00 where the last 2 digits correspond to the number of frames and are delimited in the format by either a colon or a period. In some cases, software uses a semi-colon, but it's currently not supported.

Next, you select your primary camera stream in the drop-down field and enter your timeline start time, end time and the time code you would like to synchronize to for each of the video streams as they are currently positioned on the timeline.
Then, you click the "Calculate" button at the bottom of the screen and the new starting times are posted into the "Offset Time" fields on the screen. You can, if you would like to, select any of the streams as the Primary Camera and re-calculate to see which of the streams would be easiest to use in terms of moving streams on the timeline.
This calculator would be useful for virtual ANY video editing software that allows for the editing of multiple video streams.
If you're interested in it, let me know...

Regards to all!

Ben E. Brady
benebrady

Re: Multiple Camera Synchronization Calculations

Postby benebrady » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 pm

I've just updated my blog today with more information and a new version of the Multi Camera Video Synchronization Calculator.

Check it out here...

http://benebrady.blogspot.com/2013_02_24_archive.html#2755559026886495238
benebrady

Re: Multiple Camera Synchronization Calculations

Postby Vapymid » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Looks like a really useful tool for multicam. Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Vapymid

Return to Other Mediachance Apps