My programs started to hang

Multimedia Builder

My programs started to hang

Postby Byteman3D » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:46 pm

I used MMB before and I remember old versions like 4.8 never hang at all.
My programs created with MMB v 4.98 often cause system hangs, until I terminate the process. CPU load is about at %50 level during the hanging. It very frequently happens during sound output, while on several occasions the sound that lastly played loops endlessly, while I can't exactly say it's about sound. I know times when a non-sounding button also triggers the hanging on mouseover.

The script under the button also has nothing to do with the hanging. This started with version 4.98 (or may be a previous version) and/or windows 7. Not only the exe files hang, but also test runs or debug sessions also hang.

My latest program is a depression test (Turkish), and it hangs frequently during working phase. http://www.nezihkanbur.com/test.zip
I tested the exe on a sony vaio laptop with win7 it hung 2 times until I could complete a single test.
I use windows 7x64.
Customer didn't report any hanging so I started to think it's about Windows 7.

Do you have any ideas? Recommendation for a more compatible sound mode may be?
Byteman3D

Re: My programs started to hang

Postby Delboy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi
I tested and there was no hangs at all on Windows 7 32 bit.
I was also playing mp3s at the same time, So i am not sure this problem is sound related.

Cheers
DMFX Player v3.0.9.7 Released 02/03/2016
Delboy

Postby dgilmour » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Do you use bitmaps and page transitions?
dgilmour

Postby dgilmour » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:20 am

I've tested your application. It seems that you use separate page for the Who Depression tab? The problem is in serious MMB bug that I mentioned in old forums. It is GDI objects leak caused by bitmap objects that was not destroyed during transition between pages. Make your project consisting only from one page (in your case it's easy) or load bitmaps dynamically using hotspots and ReplaceImage command.
dgilmour

Postby Delboy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:39 am

Yes Sergey confirmed here now

22 GDI Objects added ( none destroyed ) on each click of WHO DEPRESSION section

others are fine
Nice find mate.
Delboy

Postby Byteman3D » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:56 am

Each test is a separate page infact. Tabs are 4 hotspots on master page. All buttons are bitmap buttons
below is the mbd file:
[url]nezihkanbur.com/depresyon.rar[/url]

This hanging is very spontaneous. It happens sometimes at the very first moment you run the program. During test runs or debugs on mbd, it often hangs while mouse comes over the bitmap buttons. Apparently it happened less, but also many times with actually doing nothing.

That's why I was in fact thinking it's a problem with my computer until I had the same problem on a Sony e-book computer; one of those 1gHz Atom processored computers with Windows 7 of some kind.

One more thing: It happens almost all of my projects lately, on one of them there is actually no bitmap buttons. Only a standard button, 2 bitmaps, 1 sound (embedded like in this one) There's no code problem I guess, because it works, works ... and all of a sudden locks with the processor running %50. Not necessarily at a moment of working.

The reason why I relate it to sound output is that, I remember the first occurance of the problem together with the several CBK variables visible on debug page. It's that version when this thing started to become a part of my life and I started saving files before running on mbd.
Plus different erratic behaviour on full screen backgrounds for instance. When I minimize a program it doesn't restore back, however this used to happen on my Windows Vista 64 or 7x64 systems (not xp) so I also think it may be about windows itself.

I wonder if anybody else has a similar problem.
Byteman3D

Postby dgilmour » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Did you read previous posts? Your applications hang not "very spontaneous" but when count of used GDI objects reaches 10000. Next time it hangs start task manager, enable displaying of GDI objects and you'll see that your application (or MMB if you test it in designer) reached limit.
dgilmour

Postby Byteman3D » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:53 pm

I'm still messing with this bug or whatever causes this. :( Not on the same project but on another one again.

I've certainly read the posts however what I don't understand is this:

just now I started mmb, opened my test program again and opened WHO depression tab, it hang at the 3rd click.

I terminated the process, restarted mmb, opened WHO depression again, I ve pressed 100 times (Seriously) then switched to another page, clicked and clicked. back to WHO depression. Still no hangs?!!

dgilmour wrote: Next time it hangs start task manager, enable displaying of GDI objects and you'll see that your application (or MMB if you test it in designer) reached limit.

I wonder where this "Display GDI objects" option is? I really need to see how this happens on click 3, then not until click 100? I mean if it reaches 10000 at the 3rd click, does it suddenly terminate and opens a space for at least 100 GDI objects by terminating and restarting the program.

What should I try to get rid of, to get rid of the hangs?
I often use pages. I don't like several objects on one page. You can't even navigate easily when the objects panel is full.
I have bitmap buttons. I have unnecessary bitmap objects (which I used for different button states) , that may be reduced by using matrix objects.
But I still have several bitmaps, which I cannot load dynamically.
Byteman3D

Postby Byteman3D » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:49 pm

I ve just found how to display GDI object. It's obvious for sure, that this GDI thing increases everytime -especially on the WHO depression test- but it neither seems to be hanging at a total GDI of 10000, nor at a specific GDI amount for this file.
It hang at 646 a minute ago, and it's still working at 1500??

Any ideas?
Byteman3D

Postby Delboy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 pm

Byteman3D wrote:I ve just found how to display GDI object. It's obvious for sure, that this GDI thing increases everytime -especially on the WHO depression test- but it neither seems to be hanging at a total GDI of 10000, nor at a specific GDI amount for this file.
It hang at 646 a minute ago, and it's still working at 1500??

Any ideas?

Please use the updated bin files from pinned topic here below.
Just incase its your antivirus app (then can rule that out + it's a lot better for false Postive trojan alerts still Zero at this present time)

http://www.mmbforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=349

and re-upload the test.zip so original link is live and I will test further.

Cheers
Delboy

Next

Return to MMB