Photo Reactor Manual

Upcoming mother of all image editors

Photo Reactor Manual

Postby Oscar » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 am

Here is a link to the first pages of manual.
It is unfinished and not edited, just rough draft with typos and grammar but may help someone to start with the reactor.

I will be updating the link with newest versions as they go.

5/10/2013 (30 pages)
5/13/2013 (61 pages)
5/30/2013 (130 pages)
http://www.mediachance.com/reactor/reactor.pdf
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Photo Reactor Manual

Postby anecessaryevil » Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 pm

This would have made my first day easier.

It's looking good so far, Oscar.
All photos I use are my photos unless otherwise noted in the post.
anecessaryevil

Postby oroshay » Sat May 11, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks Oscar, this manual is very welcome to a beginner like me.

I am having lots of fun :-)
oroshay

Postby Peter-GZ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 am

Hello Oscar,

Please integrate for Manual:
load from jpg - file with embeded flow and load from embeded flow without - jpg file.
quiet Rlease 1.0 and activate buy for Reactor :D

kind regards
Peter-GZ
All my edited photos are photographs by me.
Peter-GZ

Postby lylejk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Definitely enjoyed the quick peruse Oscar. Still only toyed with PR but do know that the self-documenting (extremely greatful that you used these words as opposed to the term lossless) aspects of PR is an extreme strength. Filters is what I see lacking though (hey; I'm a filter guy; lol). Still, maybe a PS filter module could be in the future. I guess you can always use the call external program option and run the filter in that program, but it adds to the complexity and I'm a simpleton. lol

Again, thanks for creating this cool program. Been sort of a slacker to PR since I'm having fun with G'MIC (a GIMP plugin) of late. Now that would be cool if you can figure out how to add G'MIC support to PR. lol

:)
lylejk

Postby bil abington, pa » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:23 pm

lylejk wrote:Definitely enjoyed the quick peruse Oscar. Still only toyed with PR but do know that the self-documenting (extremely greatful that you used these words as opposed to the term lossless) aspects of PR is an extreme strength. Filters is what I see lacking though (hey; I'm a filter guy; lol). Still, maybe a PS filter module could be in the future. I guess you can always use the call external program option and run the filter in that program, but it adds to the complexity and I'm a simpleton. lol

Again, thanks for creating this cool program. Been sort of a slacker to PR since I'm having fun with G'MIC (a GIMP plugin) of late. Now that would be cool if you can figure out how to add G'MIC support to PR. lol

:)

Your post kind of perplexes me. First I don't think you got a good chance to see what Photo Reactor is capable of trying it for a day and a half. More importantly I'm not Oscar so I can't speak for him but from my vantage point Photo Reactor is about Control in the hands of the user. I'd have to say it's a Smart Program. As we progress so will the program to match our abilities. When I say the program will grow I'm not talking about upgrades. There is so much in there right now that a lot of users are just starting to scratch the surface.

These Plug-ins you are talking about are probably already in Photo Reactor. As our small group grows and others join we'll start tapping into all the resources Photo Reactor possesses and will be creating our own Plug-ins with much more control and greater Horizons than the Canned Soup Plug-ins you are talking about. For curiosity I checked 4 or 5 different Old Photo / Sepia Tone / Aged Photo filters other programs have including your Gimp. I also ran a few different actions and scripts.

I then sat down after only using Photo Reactor for 8 days and created a Filter with total user control over everything from Color/Softness/Glow/Grain/Scratches/Edges/Saturation/Contrast/Brightness you name it. My output blows Gimp's Old Photo Filter away (and btw with the switching of 1 blending layer in my filter I can reproduce the Gimp's exact effect). The Gimp! No control, click the Old Photo Filter and you get what you get. Now you need to add more layers to start working on it.

Lylejk hang around a little bit and give it a longer view. With your passion for playing with plug-ins you just may be the type person Photo Reactor is made for. Take a look at what Lugi, Wutz and others including Oscar have done in the Watercolor thread. Add that work to the fact you can create almost any Photo Effect and you just may have found your new toy.
Have Fun Bill
Bill Somogyi
bil abington, pa

Postby lylejk » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 pm

bil abington, pa wrote:.......have done in the Watercolor thread. Add that work to the fact you can create almost any Photo Effect and you just may have found your new toy.

Not saying PR isn't capable. I'm a big advocate for self-documenting flows, but I happen to also be a filter guy Bil. Some things just requires them such as packing objects for found object mosaics for instance. Don't see an apparent way to do this in PR but G'MIC will do this. I'm a special effects kind of guy. DAP too can do things that PR cannot. Again, by no means does that mean PR isn't capable and don't want my prose to elude to that. Oscar knows how much I back programs like DAP and Photo-Reactor. Still, folks have various needs for their particular way of doing things. I tend to be a tinkerer and milk programs for my own end results using more eclectic procedures. It's just the way I do things. PR will have a place for me; I wouldn't have spent the money if I didn't think otherwise. I still mainly will be using GIMP; that's just my crutch. Still, that does not mean I won't be using PR. I'm still using DAP quite often too. I have motivations which over the years I called binges to those that know me, know my binges vary tremendously. My background using object orienting programs such as simulink and Labview makes me quite comfortable using programs like PostworkShop Pro and now Photo-Reactor too. :)
lylejk

Postby Oscar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:25 am

I was thinking about gimp plugins, but is there any example of gimp plugin hosts? I know the plugins are exe files but do they come with linked UI libraries?
I cannot find too much info on this topic.
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby lylejk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:39 am

If I were to choose one GIMP plugin (and you really don't need the GIMP plugin since there's also the more powerful command prompt version though I mainly use the less powerful GIMP plugin version) is G'MIC Oscar. There are folks that have implemented the G'MIC plugin within their own programs already too. Can check out G'MIC's Flickr site for details and contact information Oscar. David's is Mr. G'MIC himself.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/gmic/
lylejk

Postby lylejk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 pm

If you ever do support G'MIC, you can take advantage of the new packed sprites preset. Made the rock concoction with it of my Dad a few weeks ago; click on the image for the hirez result at Flickr. :)

lylejk

Next

Return to Photo Reactor