Out put size?

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Out put size?

Postby Califmike33 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Hopefully this will get answered I know there's not a lot of people actually still on this form. I know there's a few die-hard still out there somewhere but I have a question.

When you made your painting and you're choosing the output weather to be viewed on the web small print larger big print.

Does anybody have experience with this I printed out some eight by tens on the smallest setting and they look pretty decent I see the brushstrokes I can see the depth of the painting but I'm wondering I want to go up to 16 by 20 ,17 x 22 when I stay at the same small setting or would I move it up one? When I'm printing this size I want to keep as many brush Strokes as I can so looking for any kind of recommendations from people that have their own printing experience.
Califmike33

Re: Out put size?

Postby rgalka » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:45 pm

well there a couple of things to look at. From your comment I am guessing that you want to retain the brush strokes... first look at the difference between use the save 2X size and rendering at the next out put size.

Create your image at the lowest output setting [ small and quick] and save your result then save it again via the file/save special/ save double 2x... or from the final output tab at the bottom and choosing save 2x size.

Then change your output setting to [print, web, social media] which is double the resolution. Save normally and compare the output to the small version at 2x and see the difference... it will be different. Better or not is up to you.

Now secondly there are the brush strokes options on the Painter tab that you can experiment with. I haven't read the manual but this will change the brush stroke size range.. from - to. The settings are from 50 to 1000. If the from is greyed out it is locked.. click the little lock icon to unlock it. This restrict what the smallest brush size and largest brush size the program will use. Now there is an icon next to the little lock ~ This will bring up a graph that you can change.. I have played much with that but it looks like you can distribute how slowly or quickly the brush strokes will change a the image is painted.

Then... ;O) there is the brush probability control on the right side of the screen.. but you only see it after you start the painting.. right click on your image to pause the process... it give you a scrollable grid of all the paint brush stokes that the creator of the template has used. there you can BAN an of those strokes... for example if you do not like all the suns that appear when using a Van Gogh template you can ban them from being used. You can ban it completely by clicking the ban button or using the graph next to the ban button to choose low or high probability.

Now.. I can see where all of this can give you pause about using the program.. but these controls are what you would use to create a look all your own. The other option is to create you own templates ;O) and there are one or two tutorials by users here as well as in the help.pdf file .... located DAP program folder.
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed description. I just downloaded a bunch of templates that somebody left me a link to in my paper type thread some of those templates look very interesting.

I have been playing around with the program and learning about adding shortening the brushstrokes or lengthening the time that it adds brushstrokes but I haven't messed around too much with the different brushes which is what I want to do.

Like I said I've made some print some 8 by 10 print out of my Canon printer on fine art paper and they look fantastic I mean they look like paintings but I'm wondering what's going to happen on the current setting when I go up to an 11 by 17 or a 13 by 19.

I guess the problem would be it seems like if you print them out too small it's really hard to see any of the details that it's a painting at an 8 x 10 level you can actually see brush strokes and different things going on.

I haven't had an 11x17 made yet I'm going to get some paper and see at the current setting how it comes out there's a lot of stuff to learn about this program I can see.

But you lost me a little bit on the 2X different things to save your photos as I'll have to play with it I'll have to read it more carefully and in figure it out and make test friends and see what I like I'm trying to retain as much of a painting look as I can obviously.

And I do see that you can have a beautiful photograph doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a good painting certain artists don't work with certain types of photos I've seen just because you loved one type of preset doesn't mean it's going to work with a particular picture.

You have to think a little different than a photographer I'm starting to see what makes a better painting versus a photograph I've had fantastic photographs that to me they just don't look good as paintings.

I do think it's a fantastic program it's a really fantastic program with lots of potential but there's definitely a pretty big learning curve.

The thing that surprises me that this program has been out for a long time and the actual date of some of the post on this forum go way back I'm surprised there aren't a whole bunch of YouTube videos on this I'm really shocked at that there's very very few.

Fotosketcher has way more videos than this program and fotosketcher is nowhere near the level of this program although fotosketcher has a place it does something better than this program does but not many.

I'm going to try that unlocking the brush Strokes in a different brush sizes I've seen those brushes on the right side when you first start up the program and I've clicked on a few of them and I've always wondered about those brushes trying to figure out exactly what to do with those.

So I will test your post on printing ones I don't plan on printing anything probably any bigger than a 16 x 20 so the first setting might be fine for that are at might have to go up one setting I don't know.

I did see where you're talkin about the where it says you can bake it or 2X all of that was very confusing to me how to save the photo I just went to the simple way and if it's going to be on the web small print large print super large print and for my small prince it's worked fine.

Another thing is somebody left a link for a bunch of templates I finally figured out how to get them into D AP but when I click on painter and I look at all my painters Van Gogh all them all I see are folders for the new templates I've added but when I click on the folder it shows a little sample painting of it I'm wondering why it doesn't show a sample painting or a little picture of how it's going to look like all the other ones do that came with the program?

Anyways sorry to overload you you seem to be one of the few people around here that answers any questions and have some knowledge of this program which is all I'm trying to do is get knowledge I'm fascinated with this program I love it I think it's got huge potential to create stuff I love the idea of turning stuff into paintings thank you again very very much for your reply.
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:24 pm

;O) the 2x option will scale up your image resolution... a 1000x1000 pixel image will be scaled up to a 2000x2000 pixel image.. with I believe some smoothing to make it look good.

Kind of like you can do in photoshop.
rgalka

Postby rgalka » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 pm

did you find the help manual I mentioned?
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Yes I found the help PDF but I would like to know where those tutorials are from a couple of the people on this forum do you know where those are located?.

I think I understand your about the output the printing 2X and all of that I understand it how to play around with it but I understand what you're saying. Some of those templates that I downloaded some of those are pretty good there's one particular when I can't remember the name of it but while I love the way it paint stuff up in watercolor can't remember the name I think it was Claude version 2.
Califmike33

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:48 pm

Okay I took the time to read the whole tutorial that's provided by D AP. I would say I read most all of it. All of it this is a very very complex program I mean you can basically just shove photos into it and let it do what it wants to do but to get truly artistic and make something that's really nice you got to do a lot of manual control.

I've already experimenting with stuff and learning some stuff so I see it's just going to take some time but I'm going to look around see if there's any tutorials with a little more details cuz the tutorial that comes with the program it's just a general description of what stuff does.
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm

can you post the links to where those tutorials are mentioned?
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:09 pm

rgalka wrote:can you post the links to where those tutorials are mentioned?

What tutorials I'm talking about I found the one that is connected to the program it's a huge PDF that explains everything about the program that's all I found.

If you go to Flickr daap there's some interesting stuff on there. It's all very old people seem to have moved on from this program over the last three years everybody's kind of just dropped it from all the information I've been finding.

Once the program is finished I have a question for you once it's through running everything I know you can go back in and change the canvas the material all that is there any way to add more brush Strokes in the program once it's finished running?

Michael
Califmike33

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter