Paint Thickness Map

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Paint Thickness Map

Postby expressivecanvas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am relatively new to using DAP but have quickly realized the artistic and creative potential of this program. I have a question (most likely my first of many) about the menu item "Save Paint Thickness map..." My first thought was that I could use this thickness map in PSP as a layer and it would add some 'depth' to the paint. However, I have not been able to figure out how to use these "thickness maps" and am now wondering if it is used for something completely different than I had originally suspected.

Could someone please enlighten me about the use of this feature? Thanks in advance! : )

Patrick
expressivecanvas

Re: Paint Thickness Map

Postby Rocambole » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi and welcome to our community!

There is a paint thickness turorial in Mary Warner's collection of DAP Tips and Tricks:
http://www.mmbforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53
Rocambole

Postby expressivecanvas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks! I will have to check that out and see how it works. Thanks again!

Patrick : )
expressivecanvas

Postby Gene_mtl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Patrick.

I also use PSP. I've not been able to achieve any decent results following the Tutorial on using the Paint thickness map. If you do, please share what it was you did.

Saying that, I have been able to add brushstroke textures in PSP. My version of PSP is v9. But this should work in any more recent version.

- Duplicate background layer (The DAP image)
- Effects --> Textue effects --> Emboss**.
- Set blend mode to 'Hardlight'

Sometimes the effect is more effective if you invert the embossed layer. To do so is: Adjust --> Color balance--> Negative image.

Also there will be times when you want some sections of the embossed layer reversed from the rest. Simply select that area and do the Adjust --> color balance --> negative image.

Hope this is clear enough for you to follow. Let us know how you make out.
Gene_mtl

Postby expressivecanvas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for the info about applying this tutorial to PSP Gene. I haven't had much time nor energy today to do anything with the previously posted tutorial but I know that sometimes transferring Photoshop tutorials to a PSP workflow can be difficult.

I have to say that I was thinking the same thing about using the 'Emboss' effect and wondering if it would produce similar results. I will have to try that as well when I am having a better day.

Thanks for all the info Gene and Rocambole!

PS... I will let you know how I make out....
expressivecanvas

Postby expressivecanvas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 am

Hi again... well... I never did go to bed because this Paint Thickness Mapping was on my mind! So, I played around with adding the Paint Thickness Map into PSP as a displacement map... I just didn't really care for the results. So... I went toward the direction of using the Emboss function.

Here was my workflow in Paint Shop Pro X2 Ultimate:

I duplicated the top layer of my Saved Layered PSD and selected this new top layer...
Went to Effects -->Texture Effects-->Emboss...
changed layer blend mode to 'Hard Light'...
Went to Effects-->Edge Effects-->Enhance... (this added more of a 3d appearance to the edges produced in "Emboss")
then adjusted the layer opacity to taste.

By the way, PSPX2 also has a function called 'Brush Strokes' under Art Media Effects... I just couldn't get those results to look "right" either. So I went back to trying to refine a workflow for using the Emboss function as stated above.

I should also add here that this effect is something I would only add for web presentation. I texture my printed work using a real brush and gel medium (for canvas prints of paintings that would typically consist of 'thick' paint, ie oils... obviously not watercolors).

Thanks again for the input I received here.

expressivecanvas

Postby Rachel » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 am

I have read the tutorial in Mary Warner's collection of DAP Tips and Tricks, but I am unable to duplicate it either because I am too stupid or Elements 7 doesn't have the correct buttons to push. I do love the emboss layer trick and the sharpening at the end, both add considerable dimension but not neccessaryily to the paint stroke. Would anyone have instructions for using the paint thickness map with Elements?

Just thinking out loud,

Rachel
Rachel

Postby expressivecanvas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 am

Hi Everyone!

After some much needed rest I am feeling better today. I worked on producing some samples of different ways to add more three dimensional brushstrokes, including using the DAP Paint Thickness Map.

The first image is a basic painting straight from DAP using Landscape2... no effects applied.
The second image is the basic painting with the Paint Thickness Map applied as a displacement map in PSPX2....
The third image is the basic painting with PSPX2's Artistic Brush Stroke effect applied as a displacement map...

Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 nothing applied.jpg
Painting straight from DAP, no brush effects applied
Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 nothing applied.jpg (148.98 KiB) Viewed 4628 times

Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 paint thickness map.jpg
Painting using DAP's Paint Thickness Map
Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 paint thickness map.jpg (149.54 KiB) Viewed 4628 times

Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 brushstrokes displacement.jpg
Painting using PSP's Artistic Brush Stroke effect as a displacement map
Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 brushstrokes displacement.jpg (153.05 KiB) Viewed 4628 times

Uggg... adding images here in this forum is very restrictive... highly compressed/tiny file sizes only, and only 3 images per post... I will have to add another post. The next post will show the basic painting again with no effects and then the painting using the Emboss and Enhance Edges effect as mentioned in a previous post.

Patrick
expressivecanvas

Postby expressivecanvas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 am

Back again for the second part of my above post...

The first image below is the original painting again with no effects applied inserted again as a comparison for the second image...
The second image below has PSPX2's Emboss and Enhance Edge effects added....

Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 nothing applied.jpg
Basic DAP painting using Landscape2, no effects applied
Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 nothing applied.jpg (148.98 KiB) Viewed 4627 times

Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 embossed enhanced edge.jpg
Basic painting using Landscape2, applied Emboss and Enhance Edge effects in PSPX2
Amherst00060_DAP_Landscape2 embossed enhanced edge.jpg (197.58 KiB) Viewed 4627 times

Of all these effects applied, I prefer the example of PSPX2's Emboss and Enhance Edge effects added. Of course, maybe I am doing something wrong with the built in Paint Thickness Map... I am not entirely sure. What I do know is that I have spent enough time and effort on trying to figure this out at this point.

I should add that this example painting is nothing special... I spent absolutely no time on it... I just did a basic auto-run in Landscape2 and then cropped a 100% crop of a small section. It is used for illustrative purposes only.

And, as I stated in a previous post, this effect is something I would ONLY use for a web-based image. For a web-based image, I would also apply a faint canvas texture or paper texture in post-processing. If I was printing I would not use any sort of digital brushstrokes or textures since I prefer to apply a gel medium to my canvas after printing for real brushstrokes on the canvas.

If someone has some better ways to do this, I would love to hear how and to see some examples. Thanks in advance for anyone spending time on this!

Hope this info helps anyone else wondering about using PSPX2 for post-processing their DAP paintings!

expressivecanvas

Postby expressivecanvas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Wow... don't know how I missed it before, but I just found the info I was searching for in DAP Tricks and Tips... all sorts of info about adding texture. Looks as though I was missing a few steps to get the best out of this. I will have to take some notes and try it out sometime!

expressivecanvas

Next

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter