DAP Tips and Tricks

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Tutorial on Creating Natural Borders

Postby mhwarner » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Tutorial on Creating Natural Borders

I came across this tutorial the other day and found it useful for creating watercolor "natural borders" (with more control than what is available using the DAP "natural borders" setting) and a canvas background. It is for Photoshop but should work with any program that supports layers. I used it when I created the zebra painting posted here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11&start=0#p26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvRE2_7grvo
mhwarner

Merge Several Styles Into One AOP

Postby mhwarner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:36 am

From Oscar:

This is for 2.0.2 and newer

This allows you to merge few similar styles into one.
For example you have illustroke and illustroke wide, instead of having two presets we will merge it.

Go to Make AOP
Import - illustrokeWide.aop
Save - select Save As type - Alternative (embedded) template *.aoa, save illustrokeWide.aoa (NOT AOP!)

Now, import Illustroke normal
All below is in the "Additional variations and palette"
Alt.Color - click on AOA button
load the illustrokeWide AOA(it will have 000 appended to the name you choose above for safety resons to prevent overwriting files in original aops)
Name choose name like Wide
Press Add New

now save it to illustroke.aop

In interface, sellect the illustroke
Look under the palette combo - you will now have the Wide there
You can delete the very original IllustrokeWide.aop/grf/ao2

The files that belongs to the new illustroke multi (for distribution):

Illustroke.aop
illustroke.grf
illustroke.ao2
illustroke.pal
illustrokeWide000.jpg
IllustrokeWide000.grf
IllustrokeWide000.aoa

Same way you can add illustrokeThick etc...

Note: all multi styles will share the main style default values (those that are visible on the painter gui) . So those can't be different, but everything else that is not visible on GUI can be different.
At present the Realism is done precisely this way where we have 2 additional in the palette with different simplification params.
mhwarner

Adding Paintings to the Profile Directory

Postby mhwarner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:39 am

Tip "Is it possible to add paintings to the Profile-dir?" Wutz
Rocambole:
"Yes, it's possible.
1) Download the painting you want to add.
2) Start DAP and click on the AOP you want to relate your painting to, for example Monet.
3) Select Show Related Impressions in the Tools menu. Now you see all paintings related to Monet.
4) Select Add Impression from the Tools menu and find your downloaded painting and click Open.
Now your painting appears together with the other related paintings.
If you want to delete it select the painting and use the Delete Impression from the Tools menu."
ipb/index.php?s=&...st&p=139398
mhwarner

A Few Painting Tips

Postby mhwarner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:45 am

Ralderfer
"I understand the basic process that the program uses to paint - underpaint and detail brushes. And I know they can be adjusted by the sliders and the "graph". But can someone explain in more detail how to better control when these things happen? Sometimes I want to paint more with the large brushes, and then with a little detail. Sometimes with just a little background, and then a lot of detail. Right now, I'm giving too much choice to the computer. Thanks!"
Ron

Wcoleman
"Ron,
I am sure others with more experience will have their own ways of doing this, but my approach is the play with an AOP a few times to get a feel of how that particular one is set up (I also look at the AOP details in the form for making AOPs). I then play a little with varying the number of strokes and, particularly, the setting on the detail brushes bars (below the sliders for real/surreal). I then change those bars to get approximately what I want, and during the painting increase the bars when I judge that I want detail to come in. In many AOPs where dry reveak is going to happen, this is a good way to get the dry reveal to kick in instantly. I thought about trying to quantify this with a graph or formula but the number of variables is so great that such a formula would be useless, so I have decided that watching the painting progress, or checking it every few minutes, and adjusting those things that can be adjusted during a run, is the best approach for me.
Cheers,"

Sanzana
"I have found the same as Flick, so I always start on full realism, faithful, wet, and NO detail..........brushes are set to 1000X1000, and as the painting progresses I change the brushes and start to bring in detail, but first it's a case of simply filling in the canvas and blocking it in with nice thick paint.
After that you sort of have to play with when to bring detail in, and little by little, until you wish dry reveal to kick in [if it's programmed in the AOP].
~Sanz"
mhwarner

Re: DAP Tips and Tricks

Postby PhotoComix » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:55 am

thank a lot Mary !
PhotoComix

Color Palette Generator

Postby mjb_nj » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:33 pm

I know DAP has a very useful ability to let you use art images as "impressions" when running an AOP, but if you are into building your own palette grids for custom AOPs, this online application is really useful. You upload an image and it analyzes and extracts all the image colors into palette blocks which you could then use to make your custom AOP palettes. See it here:

http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php
mjb_nj

Re: Color Palette Generator

Postby anecessaryevil » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:31 pm

mjb_nj wrote:I know DAP has a very useful ability to let you use art images as "impressions" when running an AOP, but if you are into building your own palette grids for custom AOPs, this online application is really useful. You upload an image and it analyzes and extracts all the image colors into palette blocks which you could then use to make your custom AOP palettes. See it here:

http://www.cssdrive.com/imagepalette/index.php

Thank you for this link.
I have bookmarked it but not checked it's functioning yet. However, it looks like something that I have been wanting to find for quite a while. 8-)
All photos I use are my photos unless otherwise noted in the post.
anecessaryevil

Re: Merge Several Styles Into One AOP

Postby anecessaryevil » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 pm

mhwarner wrote:This allows you to merge few similar styles into one.

And thank you for posting this, Mary. I had just started playing with this when the old forum went down and I had not saved the info.
Your consideration is greatly appreciated.
All photos I use are my photos unless otherwise noted in the post.
anecessaryevil

Rotating Pictures (and changing direction of brushstrokes)

Postby mhwarner » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:06 pm

by rpn4 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm a new user--less than 48 hours. When I import pictures, if they come in as a file, they are all im landscape orientation. The photos taken in portrait orientation come up as parallel lines with all the photo info not visible. I have not found a way to rotate these so that they can be painted. Help! thanks.

by mhwarner » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 am

Assuming you are using the latest version of DAP (2.5.3), after you have opened your photo, go to the top menu and select "File\Adjust\Rotate .." and pick the option that best applies. Earlier versions of DAP did not provide this option and it was necessary to manually rotate an image before bringing it into the program.
-- Mary

by Wutz » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Taking about rotating - I found something interesting, what you also can do with this feature:
when you rotate the picture, the direction of the paintstrokes vary

NOTE from Mary: I have tried this and rotating a picture does indeed make a difference in paint strokes. I found that in paintings with a great deal of sky or where there is a definite line between a landform and the sky or a building and the sky, creating a second rotated copy of a picture will often get rid of some of the ugly "bleedover" which often occurs. Re-rotate the second copy and blend the two images together using layer masks in your editing program. When using an AOP with heavily defined or textured paintstrokes, this is a great alternative to creating a second copy with "Realism" or a heavy Dry Reveal mask (which gives much cleaner lines but tends to obliterate the paint strokes).
mhwarner

Re: DAP Tips and Tricks

Postby Rocambole » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:19 am

AOP makers who want to study the brush strokes of the great masters in close-up will find lots of goodies here:
http://www.googleartproject.com/
Rocambole

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter