DAP Tips and Tricks

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: DAP Tips and Tricks

Postby Rachel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:36 pm

http://www.photoradar.com/techniques/te ... -photoshop

some fun borders to fit around your picture.

Instructions to use with Elements.

Step 1: Place the border

Open the photo you want to add a border to in Elements. To add the frame go to File > Place. Use the file browser to locate the border that you want to use and click Place.

Step 2: resize to cover the photo

The border will appear over the photo and around the edges you will see eight anchor points. Grab one of these points and move the edge of the border to the edge of the photo, repeat this so the border covers the entire photo.

Step 3: change the blending mode

Click the green tick in the top right of the screen to confirm the size change, and then from the Layer blending mode dropdown select 'Darken', to reveal the dark border. If the border is a white one, use 'Screen' blending mode instead.
Rachel

Postby mhwarner » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:16 am

As a follow on to this thread, here is a link to bunch of free watercolor textures which would be suitable for layering in addition to those provided by Piker in his tutorial (most are high res so they should work well on any size DAP painting):

http://sadmonkeydesign-res.deviantart.com/gallery/
mhwarner

Postby jeannila » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 am

What is the cheapest way to ship original, stretched canvas art work? I have a large canvas (30x50) I need to ship to Chicago. (I am in Georgia) I shipped smaller pieces recently to TX , through FedEx, and it costs me half of what I was charging for the work. I was very disappointed. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to ship a large package? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jeannila on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeannila

Saving Canvas and Material Presets in DAP x64

Postby mhwarner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:18 am

Just so everywhere is aware ...

-- The ability to save our own presets in both the Materials and Canvas tabs

Oscar wrote:...As for saving presets, there are the tiny - and + buttons on the preset blue "bar" - the one where the text Preset is. I did have to save them somehow, right? Just don't press the x above that as i did few times.
mhwarner

Postby Rachel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 am

Thank you for this information! Do you ever sleep?
Rachel

Postby Wutz » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 am

I always wanted to have something like "Save Project". The options in resolution make that IMHO really important.
Well...
I just found that this alread built-in in the Tools - Auto-Backup. I am using DAP for so long and did not see this :oops:
But I have the feeling no one else did it - or they woul have told me... :roll:
Auto-Backup is a great help - it just boost the size of my pictures folder.

A little edit: I just found in the Menu File the optiom "Save / Load state". You can save and retrieve your personal setting for a special template, like in Auto-Backup but manually with the option to give it a name (The filename for example). Unfortunatly with Impression(+) the picture selected as palette is not saved...
Wutz

Add Canvas/Material Effect to Saved Painting

Postby mhwarner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:49 pm

From Sanzana:
My wish would be to allow us to be able to take the painting back into DAP [some of us do post processing] and retain the ability to add the extra canvas effects last or at any time, and not just after the painting has finished in DAP. That's a huge wish of mine, but as you have done so much I feel guilty asking for it.

From Oscar:
Sanzana, you can load picture to dap x64 back with my supersecret keystroke combination which I use for testing (I am not going to paint image if I want to test just the material tab)
When you just going to load the image (before you double click on browser, or pressing OK on load dialog) hold down and keep holding CTRL+SHIFT. The loaded image will also magically appear as if it was also painted output. Good yeah? I think it is exactly what you want. It is not good for anything else. Just understand this is for testing so not everything may work properly but you can apply canvas/material and save.
mhwarner

Icon for HD AOP

Postby mhwarner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Oscar wrote:For the icons of HD I actually include file default_overlay.png in objectpacks, it is 32bit png of the HD badge, all in correct size, you can grab that and use on your icon. Just let you know.
mhwarner

Postby D&D » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Six sites offering freeware brushes, some might be of use building AOP's:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-sites-do ... p-brushes/
D&D

Postby mhwarner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 am

I've created a brief tutorial on using the new DAP x64 Overlay feature. You can download the PDF file here:

http://www.mhwarner.com/dap/DAPx64OverlayTutorial.pdf

(Apparently PDF files cannot be directly attached here for some reason.) I have also uploaded a .zip file containing some frames and a couple of borders to get you started.

http://www.mhwarner.com/dap/framesborders.zip
mhwarner

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter