[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4721: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4723: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4724: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4725: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
New MMBforums • View topic - DAP Tips and Tricks

DAP Tips and Tricks

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: DAP Tips and Tricks

Postby CloudyBright » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 pm

CloudyBright

Postby primelpott » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 am

primelpott

Postby primelpott » Fri May 25, 2012 11:19 am

Hi all,

I don't know if anybody has used my little prog. I haven't heard about issues - and it can't be that there aren't any.

But here's the next try. I put some new features into this little thing.

Now you can
* select multiple tiles, paste zoomed into then,
* apply color gradients to tiles
* automatically convert to grayscale (only for brushes)

Here's the new GUI:
VariousInserts.png
VariousInserts.png (183.3 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

One word about, what's used for filling:
If there is something in the clipboard, it will be used first.
If there is no clipboard content and Gradient is activated, the actual gradient will be used:
If none of all, the selected color will be used.

The Command-Center changed:
CommandCenter1.png
CommandCenter1.png (96.49 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

WiIth content in clipboard.

New Gradient mode:
CommandCenter2.png
CommandCenter2.png (46.55 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

Select Color in "Color" Section, click on Star-Color or End-Color to set. Gradient will be calculated and displayed in Preview.
You can change the orientation by altering "Angle of Gradient".

Brushes:
Brushes.png
Brushes.png (166.92 KiB) Viewed 4608 times

Added checkbox for grayscale-conversion (only while pasting form clipboard) (This is mixed color and b/w).

I will work on a manual asap.

Here you'll find the actual version for downlaod

And, please, some feedback would be great! Even if it's negative .... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Carsten
primelpott

Postby mhwarner » Fri May 25, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi Carsten,

First of all, thanks for your efforts here! Just out of curiosity, what software did you use to create this program? I envy those who have the ability to create these kinds of little utilities. Anyway, I installed your program and played with it a bit and here are my comments. Please don't take any of them personally.

Not a big deal but usually during installation it is customary to ask whether or not you want a desktop icon instead of arbitrarily installing it.

I cannot resize the window. Dragging on the little resize thingy at the bottom right displays a cursor arrow, but has no effect. Neither does clicking on the title bar or dragging it to the top of my screen in Windows 7. If it's not possible, I guess you should indicate that in the manual. Bigger would be better, especially when dealing with the brushes. Actually, for me not being able to zoom in would make it useless.

It only saves as 3000 x 3000. Won't work for HD AOPs (unless I want to use something else to resize them after the fact, but that is not preferable). Also makes it not useful for me.

I loaded an existing brush file (even though it was 6000 x 6000, it did load). Then I copied a .png brush picture onto the clipboard. When I clicked to place it on my existing brush file, the existing file disappeared and was replaced by an empty grid (with the png brush now pasted in). So I can't edit any existing files?

While you do have a "convert to grayscale" for the brushes, it would also be nice to have an "invert" or negative image function for the clipboard. There are several utilities which allow you to convert a PS .abr file to .png images, but they usually end up being black brushes on white or transparent. The ability to invert them would be helpful. I guess the other option would be to create the file with black brushes on a white background and then convert it outside of your program.

Having said all that, the concept is great and for those newcomers getting started in making AOPs it is probably more useful than trying to set up and work with layers in Photoshop or another graphics software. Thanks for your efforts!
mhwarner

Postby carmaz » Sat May 26, 2012 1:35 pm

carmaz

Postby primelpott » Sat May 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Hiya,

I really appreciate any comment on this program. What ever it is. :geek:

It is correct, that the dialog seems to be resizeable - and it isn't. I broke the convention on this, because of limiting effort for something that maybe noone wants. If resizing is demanded, I surely can do. But remember, this is just for assembling pictures, not to edit tiles.
I wasn't aware HD AOPs have a format of 6k by 6k. I'll use this as default in next version and give option to option to save as "lowres".
Offering a inverted greyscale for brushes is no problem at all. I'll do this, when I find space to put it somewhere in dialog :) .
I hope I can deliver an update by end of next week. If anybody has some ideas how to improve - please write.

Cheers, Carsten.

PS.: Btw. this is done in C# using Visual Studio.
primelpott

Postby mhwarner » Sat May 26, 2012 5:12 pm

[quote="carmaz]
Boy the guy makes something for free and your so picky. This isn't the first time I've seen a post like this from you.... Your quite opinionated![/quote]
First off, Carmen, I suggest you go do something which is anatomically impossible. Based on this and your other post to Fluffbutt, it seems like you are having a really bad day.

Carsten asked for comments -- good or bad. Nobody else had bothered to supply any so I took the time and made the effort. I write and test software for a living so I am used to and would expect these kinds of comments. I didn't say it was a crappy program, just that it wasn't terribly useful to me in its current state for the reasons I listed. I have enough skill in Photoshop and other programs that I can continue to make AOPs they way I always have. However, if a program like this would enable others who have never done it to make AOPs without a great amount of hassle and skill, then I think it would be a useful utility. And I do admire anyone that can write a utility such as this and offer it to others.

As for being opinionated, perhaps I am, but I doubt that there are many others who frequent this forum who have contributed as much as I have. Let me see, how many tutorials have you written (other than the one describing your workflow)? How many AOPs have you posted? How many questions do you answer to help other folks with their issues? As far as I can tell, the only thing you have contributed are your paintings as well as some answers on how you have accomplished them. BFD. Perhaps you are the one who should keep your opinions to yourself. I don't recall that we ever had any nastiness or sarcasm here before you arrived.
mhwarner

Postby anecessaryevil » Sat May 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Well, Mary, I did get a little snarky with Rachel one time. :(

Carmen, Mary contributes more than most of the users here. And there was a request for comments, good or bad, made.
I will not use the utiliity. Not because it is a bad utility but because I use a graphics program that I have been using a version of for about 15 years. I know it inside and out. I do not need to figure out how to do what I want, I can just do it.

I agree with Mary that this utility may be the step that gets new people into creating AOPs. If it can do that then it is more than just a small utility, it is a great utility as well.

And when I got snarky with Rachel, she was probably a bit more right than I was... a bit. ;)
anecessaryevil

Postby Rachel » Sat May 26, 2012 9:31 pm

;)
Rachel

Postby primelpott » Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 am

Hi,

as promised: here's a new version.

New features are:
+ dialog mimics not longer to be resizeable
+ it's possible to invert b/w brush during paste (checkbox: Invert)
+ HD AOP are supported. HD is "default mode". AOPs can be also be saved as normal AOP. Controlled via "HD AOP" Checkbox.
+ normal AOPs are automatically converted to HD for editing, it's possible to save as HD AOP (via "HD AOP" checkbox).

New GUI:
Main1001.png
Main1001.png (78.67 KiB) Viewed 4477 times

Downloadable under old link :
Carsten.
primelpott

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter