DAP Tips and Tricks

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: DAP Tips and Tricks

Postby mhwarner » Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 am

Carsten,

The save to 6000x6000 works fine.

"Invert" does not work. (Not a big deal because I could invert the file in a graphics editor later.

Copy/pasting a brush that is a transparent .png file results in a black brush on a gray background, which is not useful.

When I attempt to load an existing brush file that I already had, I got an error message from .NET Framework saying Unhandled exception has occurred in your application ... "Illegal characters in path".

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.HasIllegalCharacters(String[] str)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.IO.Path.GetFullPath(String path)
at System.Drawing.IntSecurity.UnsafeGetFullPath(String fileName)
at System.Drawing.IntSecurity.DemandReadFileIO(String fileName)
at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(String filename)
at AOPMaker.Form1.openFileDialogBrush_FileOk(Object sender, CancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.OnFileOk(CancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.HandleVistaFileOk(IFileDialog dialog)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AOPHelper
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Graphics/DAP%20AOPHelper/AOPHelper.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

mhwarner

Postby mhwarner » Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 am

Just wanted to say that aside from the minor issues I have been trying to help Carsten work through on his utility, I have found this little AOP utility to be a great starting point for making AOP color templates. For the last several months I have been working on color templates that are not just plain or textured plain color files but rather start out with more of an individual color mix. I have been working on an idea that this utility has been really helpful with (now that I can save 6000 x 6000). I fiddled with using an old Photomontage program over a standard color grid and then further modified the result with various filters, blurring etc. Now I am experimenting with Carsten's utility to create a BASE color grid composed of some of the zillions of small color tiles I have collected over the years (mostly for use as web page backgrounds), scrapbooking backgrounds, paint and paper files, as well as photographs and pieces of photographs. I then take the resulting grid and run it through Photoshop filters, or PaintEngine, or Fotosketcher, or Impressionist to create great subtle mixes of color. I can, of course, make the squares in Photoshop or some other program, but Carsten's utility makes it incredibly easy to open a directory of files (even in the Windows explorer) and copy/paste them into the grid.
mhwarner

Postby primelpott » Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 am

"Invert" does not work. (Not a big deal because I could invert the file in a graphics editor later.

Copy/pasting a brush that is a transparent .png file results in a black brush on a gray background, which is not useful.

When I attempt to load an existing brush file that I already had, I got an error message from .NET Framework saying Unhandled exception has occurred in your application ... "Illegal characters in path".

Mary,

thank you for your valuable feedback. This is very useful for me. I will have a look at these issues and fix them.
But i got one more question : Could you please give me the full path and name of the file which crashes at open ...

Tia,
Carsten,
primelpott

Postby mhwarner » Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Carsten,

It really doesn't seem to matter which directory or which file name. Your program will load color files from the same directory without crashing, but when loading a brush file, it crashes. I have tried directory names with spaces and some without. Same result. The filenames do not have any spaces in them.

Two examples:

c:\mwpics\FunkyClouds6_aop_2.jpg
C:\mwpics\DAPaint AOP Files\Sketchscribblebrush.jpg

Also, even though it is possible to load a color file, if I either choose a color or copy something onto the clipboard, as soon as I click on a square to paste the color/graphic, the entire color file disappears and I am back to white with only the one square filled that I have just pasted. So it is not possible to use the program to modify an existing color file, which would be really helpful.
mhwarner

Postby primelpott » Thu May 31, 2012 4:07 am

Mary,

thank you once again.
I will have a look at these issues and hopefully be back with a solution soon.

Carsten
primelpott

Postby LigH » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:33 am

Can I make DAP paint on a specific (exact RGB) dark plain color?

With Impressionist I could; but DAP has better controls...
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Postby mhwarner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:54 pm

LigH wrote:Can I make DAP paint on a specific (exact RGB) dark plain color?

With Impressionist I could; but DAP has better controls...

LigH, Do you mean like one single color background? If so, you can do that with the "Fill Canvas" setting in the "Create AOP Template" dialog. You can either specify a plain color or one of the blocks from your color template (which can be textured). The trick would be to catch the painting as soon as the background has been filled, which isn't always easy. I guess you would also have to play with the "Expressive/Real" slider as well. If the RGB is off slightly when you are done, you could adjust the hue/saturation in an editing program.

If I have misunderstood your question, perhaps you could clarify it.
mhwarner

Postby LigH » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 am

Yes, I thought of filling the canvas with a plain, single RGB color before painting on it. So the result will fit "transparently" on a website background.

I did not plan to make a new template, rather wanted to simply use an existing one (e.g. "Pencil"); but if that's the way, I could probably import an existing one and adapt a variant from it. Will try that.

In the meantime I found a kind of workaround: I exported the brush density map, tweaked it (Equalize histogram + Gamma correction), and used that as alpha mask. Also I could use the same to apply a slight embossing effect.

Here is the result.
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Postby D&D » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:55 pm

If you would like to touch up a DAP painting with a few strategic hand painted brush strokes or a few thousand brush strokes manually - you may like to try the freeware program FreeHand Painter

http://www.deskshare.com/freehand-painter.aspx
D&D

Postby D&D » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Converging lines in photographs, especially architectural photographs or those of vertical structures, caused by an angled vantage are a headache and look so un-natural. This small program can apply a fix in a single click and also has controls for fine tuning. Need instructions? - Click on ShiftN then use Google Translator for some help using the program. Just about 8MB and best of all - it's freeware:

http://www.shiftn.de/
D&D

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter