Strategy for Creating a Color Palette

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Strategy for Creating a Color Palette

Postby mjb_nj » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Is there a specific strategy when creating custom color palettes to be used/added to existing AOPs?

I like to compose my own color schemes and have a template set up in Photoshop that let's me do that easily. I was just wondering if the order/relative location of colors matter (so should darks go at the top, then mid tones then lights?) or is it unimportant since AOP will be looking for the closest match to a particular color wherever it may be?

Are some AOPs more dependent (or dependent) on color/brush combinations in particular slots?
mjb_nj

Re: Strategy for Creating a Color Palette

Postby LigH » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:16 am

I already asked that years ago when I created my own palette builder (7z / zip). It creates a quantization of a group of pictures with different algorithms (Median Cut / Octree) and color space metrics (RGB / YUV with different weighting). So the most common colors will be placed first, less common last. This way the big brushes will paint common colors, and the detail brushes will add rare ones later.

Still I am not sure if color and brush are always matched 1:1, or if there is a diversification selecting a good matching brush and a good matching color individually, at least per 10 sample row in each 10x10 square. At least I know that brushes are divided in row blocks in relation to the progress of the painting, depending on the strategy chosen for the template.
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Postby mjb_nj » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks. That makes sense getting DAP to use the most common colors first on the underpainting. Did not know a palette maker existed--will download and give it a try (should be easier that using a web palette extractor on an image and then filling in the grid manually). Thanks for the information and the tool, I'm sure it will come in handy.
mjb_nj

Postby mjb_nj » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Okay, love the palette maker. One of my new favorite toys. Thanks for making this for the DAP community.
mjb_nj

Postby LigH » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:22 am

You're welcome. Will be curious about the AOP/DPK you might release some day.
LigH

Postby Lugi » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 am

LigH wrote:I already asked that years ago when I created my own palette builder (7z / zip). It creates a quantization of a group of pictures with different algorithms (Median Cut / Octree) and color space metrics (RGB / YUV with different weighting). So the most common colors will be placed first, less common last. This way the big brushes will paint common colors, and the detail brushes will add rare ones later.

Still I am not sure if color and brush are always matched 1:1, or if there is a diversification selecting a good matching brush and a good matching color individually, at least per 10 sample row in each 10x10 square. At least I know that brushes are divided in row blocks in relation to the progress of the painting, depending on the strategy chosen for the template.

Thank you LigH... I love it !!

Lugi
Lugi

Postby tonygamble » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:48 am

I have just been photographing a water colour lesson.
The teacher made the class work with only four colours.
How can I create a palette with four colours selected from my image file?
Tony
tonygamble

Postby LigH » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:13 am

Not quite the question for working with DAP. Neither could you restrict it to so few "colors" (in RGB model), not could you restrict it to clamping to these colors so tightly.

Furthermore, I would wonder which meaning of "color" your task has: I suppose that it means "four narrow hue ranges", as you can easily vary the opacity of every stroke when doing a real aquarel with paper, brush, and water colors as pigment pellets.

If you have to reduce a picture down to really only few colors (like known from these political posters), you would probably use an image editor like PhotoShop to quantize the image to a prepared palette. DAP can reduce images too, using the "Pop Art" template, but neither could you select your favourite 4 colors, nor would I guarantee that every original photo would produce a convenient result.

The solutiuon when using DAP may be just the opposite direction: Quantize a photo down in PhotoShop (or similar) first, then let DAP paint this with a watercolor template, instead of trying to build a new palette for the DAP template (AOP).

I believe you may be interested in this web tutorial.
LigH

Postby tonygamble » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:29 am

OK.I'll try postarising the image before letting DAP loose on it.

I only saw this class about two hours ago. My job was to cover it for a magazine but whilst doing so I heard the teacher insisting that her class only worked with the paint from four tubes.

Her justification was, she said, that it kept the image brighter. Every tube you open makes the painting darker and less fresh.

Maybe she was talking rubbish - but I'll tell you she is a jolly good painter and her pictures sell for decent money.

I just thought that it was worth trying with one of my photos. I was planning to pick four farily similar in tone colours from the photo and see what DAP did with it. I rather hoped that I could create a palette with a colour picker - but clearly not.

I'll do as suggested - simplify the image down to four colours and see what happens.

Tony
tonygamble

Postby tonygamble » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:39 am

Ok. Trying it.

I have my four colour image.

I assume I call up Add Impression.

Where does it store it, please?

Tony
tonygamble

Next

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter