[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4721: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4723: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4724: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4725: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3851)
New MMBforums • View topic - AOP Underpainting Coverage Problem

AOP Underpainting Coverage Problem

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

AOP Underpainting Coverage Problem

Postby sfriedman39 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 pm

DSC_0040abzpro_resize.jpg
Starting Image
DSC_0040abzpro_resize.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
I can't seem to get sufficient coverage in the solid area (sky) in an AOP I'm creating
DSC_0040abzpro_DAP_GrainyPastelsv3_resize.jpg
AOP effeect
DSC_0040abzpro_DAP_GrainyPastelsv3_resize.jpg (36.82 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
. Here are my settings. What can I change to better better coverage in the solid (sky) areas?
Attachments
SteveGrainyChalkv2_1.jpg
Settings
SteveGrainyChalkv2_1.jpg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
sfriedman39

Re: AOP Underpainting Coverage Problem

Postby mhwarner » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:25 pm

Without seeing your entire brush and color charts, I'm guessing it's because you don't have many large brushes, but without seeing the AOP it's hard to tell.
mhwarner

Postby LigH » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:23 am

I have such issues quite often. The selection of the palette has some impact here. The lack of details in such areas will be one of the reasons, adding some grain may help. You should also try playing with the brush size graph to force a longer use of bigger brushes.
# — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Postby sfriedman39 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:10 pm

I am trying to understand better just how DA decides where to placethe brush stroles and how to control this. I ran some tests using this standard image . Here are the settings I used from the template editor
gradientSolidTest2.JPG
Test Image
gradientSolidTest2.JPG (4.37 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
and here is my brush Alpha template.
StevesSoftPastels.JPG
Alpha Brush Template
StevesSoftPastels.JPG (20.13 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Here are the results changing only the one setting (circled)
StevesSoftPastelsResults1.jpg
Result1
StevesSoftPastelsResults1.jpg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Why is the entire Left side of the image barren of brushstrokes. Is there a way I can create a layer of underpainting from the image colors much as it is in the Solid Red area.
How do I control these factors?
Attachments
StevesSoftPastels1.jpg
Template settings
StevesSoftPastels1.jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
sfriedman39

Postby sfriedman39 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Continued from Pervious:
StevesChalk2.JPG
Color Template
StevesChalk2.JPG (19.59 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

Results:
StevesSoftPastelsResults2.jpg
Resluts 2
StevesSoftPastelsResults2.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 2657 times

StevesSoftPastelsResults3.jpg
Results 3
StevesSoftPastelsResults3.jpg (15.55 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
sfriedman39

Postby LigH » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:39 am

This is the kind of question probably only Oscar can answer good enough...

I believe it is (among other factors) related to the chosen palette and the behaviour of the Expressive/Realistic slider. You may notice that there are many red shades in your palette which are close to the red in your target image, but hardly any pink (rather purple and violet). Also your set of brushes is not complete, so it may happen that a few samples in the color chart are masked out by completely black (rows of?) brush masks. DAP may not find any palette color close enough to match the desired target color. On top of that, there are different choices of brush restrictions, allowing only a subset during each stage of painting, and when you are unlucky, a good palette match is missing for the underpaint subset.

That was the reason why I added so many palettes to my selfmade templates. I hoped that at least one of them would match the target image good enough to offer a selection of similar-enough color samples already for underpaint brushes to let DAP fill large areas early enough.

But as mentioned earlier, also the lack of detail in such large areas seems to distract DAP from filling them.

By the way, your screenshots are too small to recognize the controls in the highlighted areas. Somehow they are missing a zoom stage.
# — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter