Control the Density of the Brush Strokes

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Control the Density of the Brush Strokes

Postby sfriedman39 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Is there a control that allows me to control the density (i.e. number of strokes) that is laid down in any area of a painting. For example, if I want a really minimalist painting and only want perhaps one brush stroke per region of the image, is there a setting to do this. I can almost achieve this effect if I stop it almost immediately, but if I let it go more than about 6 seconds it starts overlaying strokes on top of the old ones. Also is there a way to slow down how fast it puts down the underpainting strokes?
sfriedman39

Re: Control the Density of the Brush Strokes

Postby LigH » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:04 am

In DAP x64 PRO v3.x:

[ Brush Strokes ] "Nr. of Strokes" defines the maximum.

[ Detail Brushes ] controls the balance between underpaint and detail brushes, up to only one kind at all.

[ Quality ] "Precision" to the max updates the painting after each single stroke.

You can right-click into the painting to pause and left-click to manually paint in pause mode (but DAP decides where exactly, the mouse pointer only guides roughly).

It won't be possible to avoid strokes covering each other. DAP was made to cover the whole canvas (except for borders if enabled), and it seems to do so a lot more for areas with higher contrasts, edges, details.
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Postby sfriedman39 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:22 am

I find that I often have large holes where no brush strokes appear in the underpinning. How can I change this to ensure full coverage. I figured out how to do the pause and manual brush option, but find it very difficult to figure out which brush to pick since the color is locked. Any chance of providing a color picker from image in the next version, or is there a way to do this in the current one?
sfriedman39

Postby LigH » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:39 am

Many people already complained about this "holes in the sky" issue. It is not easy to convince DAP to fill such gaps. The painting algorithm seems to avoid structureless areas when there is no good match in the color palette. Either try a different palette (e.g. "Impression" with the same or a similar source image), or try to alter the image to add structure there (and may it just be noise).
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter