Layers in DAP 5

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Layers in DAP 5

Postby artweave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi,
I have old layers from DAP 4. I put them in layers'folder in DAP5 but i can't use them. (no *.lyr)
How must i do please?
Thank a lot
Artweave
artweave

Re: Layers in DAP 5

Postby mhwarner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Artweave,

You cannot use your layers from DAP 4 in DAP 5. You will have to recreate your presents in DAP 5 from scratch. Sad but true and there is no easy way to do it. Too bad that Oscar did give us some kind of little "report" ability that lists the layer contents, blend mode and opacity. Unfortunately, you have to go into v 4, make notes and/or screenshots, close it down, then open v 5 and create a layer preset from scratch. Perhaps not many people use layer presets so it isn't important, but my best AOPs always use them and contain quite a few layers. It is a major investment of time to redo them.
mhwarner

Postby Bron » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:55 am

I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to save the layers being applied to an image for later reuse. If I come back and want to re-run a preset/template on the same original image and then continue working, there is no way (that I know of, if I missed something, please let me know), to reload the same layers that I used previously. So, as Mary mentioned, dependent on notes and trial and error. I am beginning to use the layers significantly more in Version 5 due to their very powerful effects and capabilities. Having a way to save a "set" of layers/effects with blending settings and so forth and then reload them, as needed, would be great.

I confess I have never created a "layers preset" and have no idea how one would do that, so quite possible I have missed something.
Bron

Postby mhwarner » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:45 am

Bron wrote:I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to save the layers being applied to an image for later reuse. ... Having a way to save a "set" of layers/effects with blending settings and so forth and then reload them, as needed, would be great.

I confess I have never created a "layers preset" and have no idea how one would do that, so quite possible I have missed something.

Hi Bron, I just noticed your post.

You can in fact create a "layer preset" which contains your entire set of layers, as well as all of their blend modes and opacities. It's not terribly difficult. Just run any template on an image, then while that image is still open, go to the "Layers" tab and create your custom layer stack just the way you want it. In either Dap 4 or 5, just above the table of existing layer presets, you'll see a - (minus) and a + (plus) to the right of the word "Presets". Click the + and then name your preset. In the future, your new preset will appear in the top table and you can use it as often as you want. You can make changes in the layers on an individual painting but it won't affect your saved preset.
mhwarner

Postby Bron » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:51 pm

mhwarner wrote:
Bron wrote:I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to save the layers being applied to an image for later reuse. ... Having a way to save a "set" of layers/effects with blending settings and so forth and then reload them, as needed, would be great.

Hi Bron, I just noticed your post.

You can in fact create a "layer preset" which contains your entire set of layers, as well as all of their blend modes and opacities. It's not terribly difficult. Just run any template on an image, then while that image is still open, go to the "Layers" tab and create your custom layer stack just the way you want it. In either Dap 4 or 5, just above the table of existing layer presets, you'll see a - (minus) and a + (plus) to the right of the word "Presets". Click the + and then name your preset. In the future, your new preset will appear in the top table and you can use it as often as you want. You can make changes in the layers on an individual painting but it won't affect your saved preset.

Hi Mary!

Thank you so much! This will be very helpful to me. I had no idea. So simple! So much about DAP to learn. :-)

I have learned a lot from your posts, by the way, so thanks for that as well!

All the best,

Bron
Bron

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter