Correct way to move DAP 4 Presets to DAP 5?

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Correct way to move DAP 4 Presets to DAP 5?

Postby Bron » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi!

I have been a DAP user since the early days (DAP 2). I worked a lot with DAP 4 and spent a lot of time creating some of my own Presets in V4. I absolutely love V5 -- DAP has come a long way and is such a fantastic tool. In 4 I just created subdirectories under the objectpacks dir and copied the preset files from there to the objectpacks dir when needed. In version 5, I have tried coping those files to the USER objectpacks directory (putting nothing in the main DAP 5 objectpacks dir) and that seems to work (so far, have not tested very much).

I did not try using the "install template" function as I wasn't sure and didn't want to possibly "mess up" my DAP 5.

Is this correct or is there a better way?

These are the files I copied to the USER objectpacks directory: ao2, ao3, aop, grf, jpg, meta, pal, preview

Any advice appreciated. I am hoping I can use the new batch processes with my DAP v4 templates in DAP V5. A great new feature!

[Btw, I used to write software, including some photo/art stuff (in Forth and C, very simple by comparison) and my hat's off to you Oscar for this magnificent piece of work! As a photographer/artist I enjoy it very much. Truly a professional quality tool.]
Bron

Re: Correct way to move DAP 4 Presets to DAP 5?

Postby LigH » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:08 am

If you have a "DAP Package" (*.dpk) file containing the template, you can use the "Tools - Install package" feature. Just as well, you can use the "Tools - Archive template" feature to create one for distribution, or just private archival.

I would not expect any issues installing a template package in v5 which was created in earlier versions. I can't promise, though...

By the way, you can also quite easily add HTML and image files in the "help" directory, completing the template files in "objectpacks".
Last edited by LigH on Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group
LigH

Postby Bron » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks, LigH!

I did indeed create the preview image and help files. Everything is working fine. I do have the .dpk files from 4, so maybe I will try installing them that way as you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Bron

Postby mhwarner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Just be aware that no matter what you do, if your preset contains layers, they will not translate to DAP 5, even if you include them in the archived template. Moving them manually has no effect either. You will need to recreate them in DAP 5. The layers in DAP 5 are much more robust with better functionality but still there is not an easy way to do the migration. It seems that you cannot open up both v 5 and v 4 at the same time and there is no sort of report or listing which tells you what your setup in v 4 might be, so you have to take screenshots and make notes in v 4 and then open up your imported template in v 5 and create a new layer preset, being sure to name it the same as what is referenced in the template. I have quite a few presets with 5 or 6 (or more) layers and it is proving time consuming, the reason being my layers use different blending modes and different opacities and different canvases or backgrounds. I did recreate one and embellished it with some of the new options available in v5 and I am quite happy with the result. I guess I will create a "base" layer preset and spend time creating new layer presets from there -- or maybe just keep on using v 4, which seems stupid since I purchased the upgrade last summer.
mhwarner

Postby Bron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:47 am

Mary, thank you so much for this nice reply! I was not aware of that. In those cases, I guess I will have to do as you suggest and maybe just recreate everything from scratch, more or less.

And while I'm at it, thank you for your many informative posts here on the forum. Very helpful! You've done a lot of good work and helped many. Thank you for that!
Bron

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter