Please help with ppi/dpi question for P.O.D.

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Please help with ppi/dpi question for P.O.D.

Postby WitlessScreenname » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Hello,

I'm contemplating selling a print or two on Zazzle, and they require "300 ppi" for any print size submitted, and 200 ppi for mugs, stickers, etc. I've figured out how to get "300 dpi" in the Final Output tab of DAP, but is there a chart of some sort that tells what size of canvas to use for what size of print I'll need? I am HORRIBLE with math, so giving me a complex formula isn't going to help (no offense).

For example, if I want a 16x20 print (at their 300 ppi requirement) should I start with a 16mp canvas or what? Can I use the same file then for an 5x7 card, or would it make it look like a photograph then? How far up or down can I resize something (along with changing DAP's consistently low default dpi setting) before the picture looks bad? Or am I going about this resizing and dpi/ppi thing all wrong?

I feel like I'm being confusing with this post, so maybe it would be easier to ask: Exactly what do each of you do to get the right sizes of files from DAP for the the various print options for Print On Demand companies (if you who use them)?

I'm just afraid that whatever I come up with will look great on screen, but then horrible once it's printed because of whatever setting I choose... and the more I've read the more confused I've gotten. Please help!
WitlessScreenname

Re: Please help with ppi/dpi question for P.O.D.

Postby rgalka » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:54 pm

There are some assumptions to be made.. if they are "requiring" you to upload images at 300dpi than we have to assume that they are printing at 300dpi
If that is true than the "only" thing that matters if you want your image to print at 16 inches by 20 inches is that your image dimensions in pixels needs to be 4800 px by 6000 px

300 dpi means dots per inch. So for every inch of printed image you require 300 pixels..... so to get an image printed at 16 inches X 20 inches you need to have and image 4800 pixels [ 16 * 300 ] BY 6000 pixels [20 * 300]

Now at Fine Art America all of the printing is done at 100 dpi and their output is excellent... so there you would only need an image 1600 px By 2000 px to print a 16 inch by 20 inch image.

Your 16X20 inch image at 300 dpi would be 28 meg... I do not know but I think that is larger than they would accept...

And yes if you do have an image or 4800 by 6000 pixels you can certainly have the image printed a smaller sizes.

If Zazzle has a customer service phone number I would recommend calling them.. because like I said.. I depends on what dpi they are really using for printing.
rgalka

Postby WitlessScreenname » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank you very much for your response. With the way you explained it, I think I finally understand the math behind it too!

It does seem odd to me that they would require that dpi setting since most places I've looked into seem to concentrate on the pixel dimensions of the outside of the work, but maybe they're the odd one of the bunch. All the same, I did send a message to them and am waiting for their reply.

The only question I have left now is... Is dpi the same as ppi? If not then maybe I misunderstood what they were asking for. I don't know if this link will display right here in the forum, but they do clearly say they "require" that "ppi":
Zazzle Image Guidelines: https://help.zazzle.com/hc/en-us/articl ... resolution
WitlessScreenname

Postby rgalka » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

more that you really need to know, but check out this explanation of the 2 different terms.....

https://99designs.com/blog/tips/ppi-vs- ... ifference/
rgalka

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter