OSCAR!!! DAP 5 - SERIOUS PROBLEM with Save PSD File

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

OSCAR!!! DAP 5 - SERIOUS PROBLEM with Save PSD File

Postby mhwarner » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:35 pm

OSCAR, please read this post carefully to understand how the exported layers to PSD are messed up. I hope you can come up with a fix!!! It shouldn't be that difficult. Perhaps you just missed some things when you updated the layers functionality.

Finally having the time to seriously play with the DAP 5 and while I love most of the functionality in DAP 5 and all the new capabilities of the new layers panel, I am seriously distressed with output to Photoshop PSD files.

In version 4, when I did a "File\Save Special\Simple Layered PSD", the result was a PSD file which contained ALL of the layers I had created in the layers panel. For example, the file contained ALL of the texture layers I had (usually 2). It also contained an "Outline" layer (added in at the Post-Processing step, not manually in the outline tab). And most importantly, because it was included in my layer stack, it included the Pre-Processed Image layer as well. I do not use a canvas, preferring to rely on the texture layers of my choosing so I can manipulate the effect manually. I can then take this layered file into Photoshop and customize to my heart's content -- primarily using hand-painted layer masks -- which are NOT available within DAP to concentrate any effects or details from the original image or the pre-processed file as I see fit.

In version 5, if I choose "File\Save Special\Simple Layered PSD" (like I did previously in DAP 4), all I get is a mostly useless PSD file containing "Painted +Canvas + RealLight" (whatever the heck that is), "Painted with Canvas", "Painted minus Canvas" (not sure how these matter to me as I do not include a canvas and instead use texture layers). If instead I use (the more obscurely located) "File\Save Transp. Layers\Save Layered PSD", I get a layered PSD file which has a few more layers but is still relatively useless for manipulation in Photoshop. That file contains a "readme" layer, a "DAP Result Image", a gray Canvas layer set to 50% opacity and hardlight (not sure where that comes from because it IS NOT in my layer stack), a detail layer (which IS NOT in my layer stack as my Template has no detail strokes), the Dry Reveal layer (good, because it is in my layer stack), a "Dry Reveal - HILT" layer (what the heck is that -- not in my layer stack), the "Underpaint" layer (again, good, because it is in my layer stack), a Canvas Background (not in my layer but it was also included in v4, so no change), and the Original Photo.

WHERE IS MY PRE-PROCESSED IMAGE layer? WHERE ARE ALL MY INCLUDED TEXTURE LAYERS? WHERE IS THE OUTLINE LAYER? Now I understand that some of the new layers cannot necessarily be exported to PSD. I would not expect to see the new adjustment-type layers such as curves or levels or even the "Paint Effect" layer exported, but I sure would like at least all of the layers previously available in DAP 4, including the pre-processed image and all of the texture files -- instead of none of them. Please let me know as soon as possible whether this is something you can fix or whether I need to completely change my workflow to create multiple paintings with no textures and different reactor effects in the dry reveal steps and layer them together myself, or just use PhotoReactor, or simply revert back to DAP 4.

Thanks in advance for any changes you can be imposed upon to make to remedy this situation. I have been using DAP since you first released it and it has only continued to get better with each iteration!
mhwarner

Re: OSCAR!!! DAP 5 - SERIOUS PROBLEM with Save PSD File

Postby mhwarner » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Has Oscar abandoned us?
mhwarner

Postby rgalka » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Well hopefully he is working on DAP 6!!!! ;O)
rgalka

Postby mhwarner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:38 am

Wow! Almost a month has gone by with zero response from Oscar. He appears to have given up any technical support on this product.

However, just in case there is anybody else out there interested in doing additional post-processing on a DAP layered file, I finally have discovered a workaround (or maybe a feature that I had forgotten about or just didn't realize that it existed). It ONLY works in DAP 4, though. After you have finished your painting, go into the "Layers" tab. Assuming you have previously created a layer stack that you like, there is a "More" button just below the "Selected Layer" header and to the right of the window that allows you to pick a layer type. Click that button and one of the two choices is "Export Layers to PSD". That button still functions the way it is supposed to and will save you complete layer stack with all blending modes and opacities to a layered PSD file. If you need to add additional layers or make modifications first, you need to click the "Apply to Painting" button, which takes you back to the main window, and then go back into the layers panel again to export your PSD file from there. If this is a method you want to use, I highly recommend adding a layer with the "Input Image" to the button of your stack so you have a copy of it should you need it in the exact dimensions that DAP modified for whatever megapixel output you chose for your painting.

So my bottom line is that I am done with DAP 5 -- at least until possibly maybe some miracle happens and Oscar comes back here to listen to our concerns and gives us a corrected update. While the batch processing feature is nice, it doesn't allow the option to save as anything other than a .jpg file anyway. The new "variations" in templates is not useful to me either. There are some nice layer features in DAP 5, but they can mostly be duplicated in Photoshop if need be, or by using Photoshop and the Reactor plugin. DAP 5 is great if you don't need to do any post processing or if you're content with working on the finished .jpg file. My 2 cents. Hopefully others are having a better experience.
mhwarner

Postby gabbydeb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm

I thought I would reply to your post, because I am wondering the same things you are. I have Real Draw Pro and I haven't received any response, to my questions either. I have Real Draw Pro 5 and as of late it is really wonky. I think it needs to be optimized for Windows 10, as I have using RDP 5 since I had WindowsXP. I am wondering why there seems to be no update information, or no tech help. I absolutely love Real Draw, and have depended on it, as my go to graphics program.

mhwarner wrote:Wow! Almost a month has gone by with zero response from Oscar. He appears to have given up any technical support on this product.

However, just in case there is anybody else out there interested in doing additional post-processing on a DAP layered file, I finally have discovered a workaround (or maybe a feature that I had forgotten about or just didn't realize that it existed). It ONLY works in DAP 4, though. After you have finished your painting, go into the "Layers" tab. Assuming you have previously created a layer stack that you like, there is a "More" button just below the "Selected Layer" header and to the right of the window that allows you to pick a layer type. Click that button and one of the two choices is "Export Layers to PSD". That button still functions the way it is supposed to and will save you complete layer stack with all blending modes and opacities to a layered PSD file. If you need to add additional layers or make modifications first, you need to click the "Apply to Painting" button, which takes you back to the main window, and then go back into the layers panel again to export your PSD file from there. If this is a method you want to use, I highly recommend adding a layer with the "Input Image" to the button of your stack so you have a copy of it should you need it in the exact dimensions that DAP modified for whatever megapixel output you chose for your painting.

So my bottom line is that I am done with DAP 5 -- at least until possibly maybe some miracle happens and Oscar comes back here to listen to our concerns and gives us a corrected update. While the batch processing feature is nice, it doesn't allow the option to save as anything other than a .jpg file anyway. The new "variations" in templates is not useful to me either. There are some nice layer features in DAP 5, but they can mostly be duplicated in Photoshop if need be, or by using Photoshop and the Reactor plugin. DAP 5 is great if you don't need to do any post processing or if you're content with working on the finished .jpg file. My 2 cents. Hopefully others are having a better experience.
gabbydeb

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter