DAP Technical/Functional Questions

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

POI (Point of Interest)

Postby anecessaryevil » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:27 pm

A question about the POI.
Occasionally an image I am processing will not work correctly when clicking on the area I want to work on but will start painting in an entirely different place. It seems to always work that way on certain images and always work correctly on other images.
Unfortunately on the images where it does not work correctly I have to click and hold on any number of different places until I find the one that will paint the spot I want.
Has anyone else had this problem and found a workaround for it?
All photos I use are my photos unless otherwise noted in the post.
anecessaryevil

Re: DAP Technical/Functional Questions

Postby Gene_mtl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 pm

Dale: I've seen this problem on User created AOPs. I've not seen the problem on AOPs that have come with the DAP software. I've no other fix than to do what you say you do to try to get around the problem.
Gene_mtl

Postby anecessaryevil » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:46 pm

Gene_mtl wrote:Dale: I've seen this problem on User created AOPs. I've not seen the problem on AOPs that have come with the DAP software. I've no other fix than to do what you say you do to try to get around the problem.

Thanks, Gene.
I wish I knew what I am doing wrong when I make an AOP because this happens with most of my AOPs on certain images.
The work-around works but it would be faster and cleaner if it were not necessary.
Perhaps Oscar has an idea?
anecessaryevil

Postby mhwarner » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:35 pm

I have experienced this many times as well. I seem to recall that Oscar once replied to a question about it but unfortunately it was in the old forum and I can't seem to find anything in my notes. I believe it was related to areas of very high contrast, and I usually seem to run into it in areas of sky just above the horizon. Sometimes, but not always, I can resolve the issue by dragging the brush from a different area of the photo over into the area where I am having problems. I think that was Oscar's solution, but some days I can't remember what day it is, so who knows if I am remembering correctly. In any case, if that doesn't solve the problem, I end up creating a second copy of the painting and use a mask to force dry reveal. I will then layer the two together and use a mask to pull back the detail I need. I will have to agree that it's quite annoying sometimes but I'm still amazed at what this program can do.
mhwarner

Postby anecessaryevil » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks, Mary.
I agree that this is just an incredible program.
The little difficulties like this do not detract enough that it matters.
I will try your ideas and a few others. If I find a good work-around I will post it here.
anecessaryevil

Postby donrose » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:06 pm

I have two questions.
Often when I'm making a painting in DAP, the paintbrush will seem to get "stuck" on one or two areas of the painting, and continue to lay down strokes, over and over. If I left-click the brush in a different area, in an attempt to get the brush to paint there, it remains in the first area but the strokes begin to lay down very rapidly. I can't get the brush to move to a different area.
Additionally, when painting with DAP, I find the brush strokes almost never lay down in an area that's white. How can I get it to paint the white areas?
What am I doing wrong? Thank you!
donrose

Postby Wutz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 pm

donrose wrote:I have two questions.
Often when I'm making a painting in DAP, the paintbrush will seem to get "stuck" on one or two areas of the painting, and continue to lay down strokes, over and over. If I left-click the brush in a different area, in an attempt to get the brush to paint there, it remains in the first area but the strokes begin to lay down very rapidly. I can't get the brush to move to a different area.
Additionally, when painting with DAP, I find the brush strokes almost never lay down in an area that's white. How can I get it to paint the white areas?
What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

The first thing - brush gets stubborn: you can try and change brightness & contrast, hue etc. Sometimes it helps, depending on the AOP mainly.
The second issue: try adding some noise in plain areas (it happens also happily with bright blue sky or dark shadows)
Wutz

Previous

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter