Watercolor Painting

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: Watercolor Painting

Postby skipatk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:43 am

Rachel -- I also like very much your watercolor Iris #2. Any chance you might expand on your AOP settings and workflow?

Thanks

Skip
skipatk

Postby Fluffbutt » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:50 pm

They seek him here, they seek him there, the Phantom Deleter is everywhere!
from forum post to forum post,
with Deletion Powder for trolls oh so thick,
if they return, it's the mighty BANSTICK!

(yes, I know.. I'm a photographer, dammit, not a poet!)
Fluffbutt

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm glad we have gotten back on topic. Hee heee... :D No, really I am enjoying the watercolor discussion. Gene, you are a master. Thank you, Delboy. And Fluff- what a poem! Aren't we just so talented? wink, wink
Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:03 pm

skipatk wrote:Rachel -- I also like very much your watercolor Iris #2. Any chance you might expand on your AOP settings and workflow?

Thanks

Skip

Skip, skip, you must contact me immediately upon my posting. I am old and within minutes I forget what I have done. But let me see if I can reconstruct what I did with the watercolor-iris_DAP_Realism.jpg. Ok, ran it through realism first and then dreamy watercolors. Added a bit of black outline and went crazy with the lightening. I'll click submit and then I will be able to better compare the two. is what I wrote as I posted the photo. So, I would run the picture through realism, stopping it early like less than 1000 strokes, if I remember correctly, just after the dry reveal. Save as "special." Run it again with the dreamy watercolors- watching again until it seemed watercolor like but not heavy. Sorry I can't be more specific. In Painter I put the layers together- and messed with different layer modes and percentages. When I liked it I sent it to Elements for the outline layer. (Smart blur, edge only, invert, reduce opacity, hard light) Then used the brightness/contrast to really lighten it and give it a more transparent look. At least that was what I was going for. Hope it help. Share with us when you get something! ////////////////As for Aop settings, I might turn off the canvas and use a more suitable palette, but other than that, I don't mess with the Aop.

Gene, thank you so much for the additional tips and encouragement. I will continue to try to improve. Your work is so very lovely. I love my irises as well, Isn't that grand?
Rachel

Postby Gene_mtl » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:30 pm

Rachel wrote:Gene, thank you so much for the additional tips and encouragement. I will continue to try to improve. Your work is so very lovely. I love my irises as well, Isn't that grand?

Thank you, Rachel, for the compliment. Luckily we have a sharing community here, so we all learn from one another. I picked up much from Wutz, Mary, Andy, Roc, Flick and probably another half dozen I've forgotten. I'm lucky that we've had (and continue to have) very talented people create many great AOPs. Without the AOPs to start, doesn't matter what post work I do, there simply wouldn't be anything to do post work on.
Gene_mtl

Postby Rachel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:11 am

You are so right, Gene. Here is yet another attempt to create the look of a watercolor. Not perfect but interesting.
Attachments
tulip-popular_DAP_Realismwe.jpg
tulip-popular_DAP_Realismwe.jpg (141.22 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Rachel

Postby Fluffbutt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:22 am

Rachel, have you seen a program called Fotosketcher?

It's free and rather brilliant. an artwork maker, less control than DAP, but it also has built-in natural look frames..

http://www.fotosketcher.com/
Attachments
zz.jpg
Just a QaD test for Rachel
zz.jpg (129.52 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
Fluffbutt

Postby Fluffbutt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 am

One more, same setting (watercolour), different frame.

Note that the frames are really only suitable for less than 8x10 inch pictures.
Attachments
zzz.jpg
Flowers, watercolour, Fotosketcher.
zzz.jpg (204.35 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
Fluffbutt

Postby skipatk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:13 am

Rachel -- Thanks for the expanded workflow. As I too am old and suffer from the "how the heck did I do that" syndrome, I know exactly how feel. I will give it a go and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again

Skip
skipatk

Postby skipatk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 am

OK Rachel here's my try with your basic workflow. I know the background sucks, please disregard.
Attachments
IMG_3068-Cropped-2_DAP_Combined.jpg
IMG_3068-Cropped-2_DAP_Combined.jpg (200.48 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
skipatk

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter