Watercolor Painting

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: Watercolor Painting

Postby Rachel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Fluff, yes, I have used Fotosketcher, Love it. If you have any other helpful bits of software that you don't think I know of, please share. I generally use Elements 7, Painter 10, Dap, and Dyamic photo hdr (I really need to buy that and quit working around the trial version.) :oops:

skipatak, well done. I especially like the sort of "water spot" edges. I was thinking that perhaps I ran my iris through realism with many strokes, saved it and then ran that through dreamy watercolors, then saved it to 'special' and then messed with layers. Sorry, there are so many buttons to push and the undo button is so handy, can you blame us for not knowing?
Rachel

Postby skipatk » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks Rachel, I'll modify the workflow and see what comes out. The "water spot" effect comes from creating a new layer and pasting in one of Vitaly's (Piker 77's) texture pigments then changing the blend mode to Overlay and reducing the opacity to about 35%. The pigment textures from Vitaly are at the bottom of this site: http://pike.jimdo.com/piker-watercolor-tutorial/

Skip
skipatk

Postby Rachel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:57 am

The pigment textures from Vitaly are at the bottom of this site: http://pike.jimdo.com/piker-watercolor-tutorial/

I saw that. Gene had directed me to the site. But I don't know which progam to use and where to put the files. I already ask so many questions that I didn't want to show even more of my ignorance. Could you tell me?
Rachel

Postby skipatk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:05 am

In Photoshop Elements and create a new layer on top, change blend mode to Overlay, and reduce Opacity to 35%. Now open one of Vitaly's pigment files, resize it to the picture you are working on, then copy and paste it to your picture. You can adjust the opacity as desired.

Hope this helps -- Skip
skipatk

Postby Gene_mtl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:51 am

Rachel wrote:I already ask so many questions that I didn't want to show even more of my ignorance.

Two things:

One: You will not learn if you do not ask the questions.
Two: Each time you ask a question you are not only doing it for yourself but also for the dozens out there who lurk and are too timid/shy to ask it themselves

Please do not hesitate to ask, I for one will always be happy to help if I can, if only to repay those who answered the questions I've asked.
Gene_mtl

Postby Fluffbutt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 am

Agrees with what Gene said..

Rachael - do you use Photoshop? If so have you seen the Impressionist plugin that was sort-of cannibalised from a Microsoft app and ported over to PS?
Fluffbutt

Postby Rachel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 am

Fluff, I don't have Photoshop, only Elements 7. It's close but no impressionist plugin, darn!

Gene, you are the most generous of Dappers. You are completely correct, I should always ask but it gets embarrassing sometimes. I do appreciate each and every tip from you and others. Thank you!
Rachel

Postby Gene_mtl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:57 am

Rachel wrote:Gene, you are the most generous of Dappers. You are completely correct, I should always ask but it gets embarrassing sometimes.

LOL! Rcchel, you keep this up and I'll not be able to get my head through the doorway. <Grin> As for 'embarrassing' when I'm not doing it to myself, I'm doing to my Wife and daughters. <Big Rin>

BTW to give you an idea of what can be created following Vitaly's watercolour tutorial, check out this link:
http://ghealy.smugmug.com/Photography/Digital-effects/Photo-Art/i-f9tkN4N/0/XL/IMG3594wc-XL.jpg

And here is teh original photo so you can see what I started with:
http://ghealy.smugmug.com/photo/i-2txzhVk/0/L/IMG3594-L.jpg

If you an do layers and Art media brushes in Elements, you should be able to do works like this as well.
Gene_mtl

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Gene, your art is lovely. It gives me something to work toward, in my own manner. Elements does do layers but not the art media brushes or the history brush. Sigh...But I think Dap will keep me very busy especially with all the new AOPs and with everyone revealing their work flow. You and Roc do some great work and Alan is killing me with his stuff, unbelievable!

Skip, thanks for the information on using the pigment textures. I am going to give it a try this weekend. I'll be back!
Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 pm

I love the pigment layer. I'm not sure I did it correctly, but I like the look. You be the judge! :P
Attachments
dec-aza1_DAP_Andys-WaterCol.jpg
dec-aza1_DAP_Andys-WaterCol.jpg (126.42 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
Rachel

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter