Images with the Sun in the frame

Discussion about DPHDR

Images with the Sun in the frame

Postby ldor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 am

Hi,
Could anybody make good HDR images with the Sun in the frame? Whenever i try that the Sun always comes out as a completely white spot of an irregular shape. I tried to play with all controls but nothing helps.
Here is an example.
Any idea?
test.jpg
test.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
ldor

Re: Images with the Sun in the frame

Postby elivarz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:15 am

Hi! If you use real HDR (have multiple images with different expositions and use some kind of HDR tools - Dynamic PhotoHDR for example - all is perfect. Sample picture, made from 3 pictures:
Attachments
e.jpg
e.jpg (173.57 KiB) Viewed 5214 times
elivarz

Postby ldor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:29 am

Yes, i use real HDR. Took 3 images and blended them in Dynamic Photo HDR. In your case the Sun seems to be much darker - it is very low and seems to be behind light clouds. Probably that is the reason the Sun came out so well in your case. In my case the Sun was much brighter. The images were taken at noon and there were no clouds in front of it. Still the Sun looked quite nice on that of the 3 images which was properly exposed (0 exposure correction). That is, it was not oversaturated, those pixels are not completely white. That means that my images contain all information needed for the Dynamic Photo HDR to create a proper final image. Still it does not work. Either the algorithm used in the program fails in this case or there should be a way to improve the image using one of the many available controls. But i could not figure out how to achieve that...
ldor

Postby elivarz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 am

Haven't tried make HDR pictures with sun so high on the sky. :( One way - if DynamicPhotoHDR can't solve this problem - manually blend layer with the most acceptable sun on the top of hdr picture. Maybe you can send the pictures to me? This is very interesting to try solve this....to: elivarz@inbox.lv
elivarz

Postby ldor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:42 am

I also thought of blending the layer with the sun, although i am not good at it, but, after having watched some tutorials, found how to make the HDR image better. At the first step i chose the processing mode as Fusion Blending (I think before it was Complex HDR Fusion). This resulted in a much better image:
2012_12_26_1309_HDR.jpg
2012_12_26_1309_HDR.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 5205 times

If you are still interested in trying it some other way, i can send you the images tomorrow.
ldor

Postby elivarz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:52 am

Yes, this picture looks much much better. Only the shadows are not so detalised, and are darker. But shooting against midday sun is really mission impossible. Maybe send me pictures, ok? el
elivarz

Return to Dynamic Photo HDR