Upcoming DPHDR 6 (released)

Discussion about DPHDR

Upcoming DPHDR 6 (released)

Postby Oscar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm

While I was planning to do this much earlier but I decided to do a full redesign instead of just "improvements" so it is taking much longer. The old organically developed code over so many years was just too much of a mess to be taken seriously.

In a(more than) few weeks I expect to have DPHDR 6 beta available.

DPHDR 6:
- fully 64-bit application
- complete redesign, from scratch
- unlimited undo
- in many operation it is more than twice fast
- clean, consistent, logical and resizable interface, as little modal windows as possible
- no longer a small window preview with cramped up controls
- stuff that was form-over-function is gone
- Improved and more confident auto-align
- the old one-way approach (load->align->hdr->tonemap) is redesigned and those steps are now accessible at any time - so you can easily jump to any step from any other step. This opens up the flexibility and consistency - you can process first files, then just load different files and they will be automatically processed the same way.
- all processing are now done in high precision, including all the effects
- effects are now hugely expanded with multiple layers and wast processing possibilities (think of auto-painter Layers combined with Reactor effects - but instead of reactor advanced nodal approach you work in a photoshop way where you pile up the live effects in layers).
- there are no more modes you must choose in advance like HDR, Pseudo HDR or Fussion. It is all combined. So you can easily switch from pseudo hdr to hdr or fusion during tone-maping
- much easier to use batch processing that can do auto-aligning.

In general DPHDR6 software goes far beyond single purpose HDR tone-mapping (that is now getting little old) - it is like a processing workbench where the input happened to be multiple exposures so you can really push things around.

I will be posting screenshots as they become available.
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: DPHDR 6 upcoming beta

Postby Oscar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Here are some screenshots of a rough cut.
Please note at this moment it is still in deeply pre-alpha stage with lot of things missing. Stuff will get shuffled around, added and removed.

Loading files
dphdr6_1.jpg
dphdr6_1.jpg (587.7 KiB) Viewed 5135 times

Align Step - the auto-align is now improved so most of the time things are correct right away. The Pin warping is now gone and the ghost mask is moved into the next screen HDR option where it belongs
dphdr6_2.jpg
dphdr6_2.jpg (316.76 KiB) Viewed 5137 times

HDR Tuning - when you are in the mood to tweak how the files are combined into one file and make your own weighting function etc.
dphdr6_3.jpg
dphdr6_3.jpg (425.52 KiB) Viewed 5137 times

HDR Tuning - Anti-Ghosting with auto-ghost mask. It has a lot of sense to be in here as you see the immediate result on the HDR merged image and can also fine tune it with the weighting graphs
dphdr6_7.jpg
dphdr6_7.jpg (428.6 KiB) Viewed 5135 times

Cleaned up Tone-mapping step - only things that are related to tonemapping are left here. All the effects are moved to the next window named Effects
dphdr6_4.jpg
dphdr6_4.jpg (401.51 KiB) Viewed 5137 times

Fusion is now one option in Tonemapping step, not a separate fork that you had to choose before you do anything as in DPHDR 5
dphdr6_5.jpg
dphdr6_5.jpg (407.31 KiB) Viewed 5137 times

Effect window is where the big fun starts. This is very rough and I have only few of the basic effects in my library so I couldn't assemble anything too much worthy, but the point is this will be very flexible and you can create your own predefined effect assembly. It is bit like a baby photo-reactor but without the nodes.
dphdr6_6.jpg
dphdr6_6.jpg (519.28 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby Oscar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 am

The old Mysterious light effect is now fully adjustable
dphdr6_8.jpg
dphdr6_8.jpg (429.9 KiB) Viewed 5115 times

Effect layers,masks etc
dphdr6_10.jpg
dphdr6_10.jpg (741.96 KiB) Viewed 5092 times
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby icedreams » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 am

in new version is possible to keep metadata from files?
icedreams

Postby Oscar » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 am

Good point, I will do that.
Oscar
Site Admin

Postby andydansby » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:50 pm

Looks nice.

Will DPHDR be able to push it's output to Photo-Reactor natively instead of Photo-Bee? Also, will DPHDR support plugins or have a SDK? If you are looking for a beta tester, I'd be happy to help out.

Andy Dansby
andydansby

Postby Oscar » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 am

Yes, to push files to other apps would be simple enough, and you are right, I should make it push to reactor with one click.
I am not even sure about the photo-bee thing, the Effect tab in DPHDR 6 would do most of the tricks, and actually better because unlike photo-bee all is now done in 16-bit per channel. It gets about 1/3 of the reactor effects directly in.

If I add plugins, I would do it later (probably after release) and I would absolutely reuse the reactor plugins - since the layers in DPHDR6 work most like reactor objects and use the same slider interface.

The next project would be to turn reactor in a 16-bit/channel app and the DPHDR6 is a good test subject for that.

At this moment the DPHDR 6 is about 85% there, nearly everything works, it just needs the basic polish.
Actually the workflow is pretty great and the possibilities are pretty rich, it is like a little child of DPHDR and Reactor.

I made the JPG EXIF with all the proper EXIF copy and new EXIF thumbnail.
I also added this little thing where you can have overlay on the THUMBNAIL and so if someone edits the file later in some external app that overlay will be dropped, so you know which file was edited and which not by looking at thumbnails in explorer.
dphdr6_11.jpg
dphdr6_11.jpg (100.42 KiB) Viewed 5058 times

dphdr6_13.jpg
dphdr6_13.jpg (434.64 KiB) Viewed 5037 times

dphdr6_12.jpg
dphdr6_12.jpg (429.21 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming DPHDR 6

Postby Oscar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Batch processing is now easier than ever
dphdr6batch2.png
dphdr6batch2.png (403.67 KiB) Viewed 4995 times
Oscar
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming DPHDR 6

Postby Oscar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:37 pm

I decided to add the reactor plugin object there - so normal one input plugins dll that work in Reactor will work in DPHDR 6 without any changes.
Oscar
Site Admin

Return to Dynamic Photo HDR