Issue reports

Upcoming mother of all image editors

Re: Issue reports

Postby Rachel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:52 am

Thank you, Andy. I was using a large file, I will save as I go (and not snapshots).

munki wrote:Hi Rachel,

This is the sound of PR maxing out on your machine. Whether it's out of all your computer resources/memory or the resources/memory that is allocated to it I don't know. You can make it happen easily if you load a very large image in.

It's best to save your flow near the beginning of your work time and give it a proper name, I mean to say save the flow and not a flow snapshot and then save often throughout your worktime. If you make big changes "save as" to make a second flow file, perhaps whatever_2.flow and carry on.

This is a problem that affects everyone using nearly anything on a computer but PR is a bit more flakey than mature software so it's best to be extra careful to save often. However, people like me who work with big software learn from early on to save often because even if the software doesn't crash the computer itself might.

Maybe an autosave function would be good, but maybe making the software more stable would be good too. How about both?

All the best,

-andy
Rachel

Postby JEL » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Rachel wrote:Sometimes I get a runtime error that shuts the program down and I lose my work. I think it usually happens when i am trying to create a flow snapshot. ... Is anyone else getting an error?

Yes!

In my experience it has nothing to do with the pc-resources being maxed out. It happens whenever you try to save a flow-snapshot BEFORE you've done at least ONE actual render of the image.

As soon as you've done at least ONE render, you can export flow-snapshots without risking a crash (until you restart PR again of course :) )

I first discovered this when trying to do a batch-export straight after having started PR. PR crashed every time I tried to do that unless I had first made at least one render.
DAP (AOPs): http://jelstudio.dk/DAP/
PhotoReactor (flows, effects and scripts): http://jelstudio.dk/PhotoReactor/
JEL

Postby munki » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I was referring to the beep sound emitted by PR when resources are too low for proper functioning as mentioned by Rachel. This occurs when either operating on a large image file or when swapping to a new image file/flow while PR is still unloading the previous operation from memory/swap space.

You are correctly quoting Rachel's other point but mis-quoting my answer which was regarding Rachel's other point.
munki

Postby munki » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Jel, I can't reproduce your crash problem when I try on Win8 x64 / PR 1.05. I don't use flow snapshots at all usually but when I tested just now, I seem to be able to save them before or after rendering without issue. I can save a full flow snapshot or a snapshot of a flow that is empty (no blocks inserted).

Is it an intermittent problem or every time, and is it only after have done some other work in PR? Let me know if you want to test to see if there's any way I can help.

As I mentioned to Rachel, can you not save a .flow periodically or at least just before you save a snapshot?

Personally I find the concept of flow snapshots a bit weird, there's no way I'd trust important photoshop work to be embedded in a jpeg file rather than saving a proper psd. I don't know what the obsession is here with snapshots, .flow is the goto format of PR, shapshots are just a gimmick.

Best,

-andy
munki

Postby Rachel » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:42 pm

I save the snapshot in order to share the work here.
Rachel

Postby munki » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:16 pm

Well I understand this but, when I use photoshop I might export a jpeg to show people but I keep my proper photoshop file with my work in it.

As for sharing from PR, people can just as easily share the flow file (.flow) as the flow snapshot? Or does the forum only allow jpeg files? I haven't actually tried so I don't know. This forum looks like phpBB to me so I assume posting of .flow files could be enabled easily.

People seem to be posting a jpeg of their resulting image and also a snapshot so it seems to me that you could share a jpeg of the result and a .flow file. It's two files either way so no extra work in posting.

TBH I'm mostly concerned that some people might be using snapshots to save their work long term and I think that is probably an unstable way to work due to the problems with snapshots at the moment and the fact that the flow data could be lost fairly easily if they mess with the jpeg at all. That could lead to loss of work and sadness.

Of course people should do just whatever they feel comfortable with, I just wanted people to know they have choices.

All the best,

-andy
munki

Postby JEL » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:42 pm

munki wrote:Jel, I can't reproduce your crash problem when I try on Win8 x64 / PR 1.05. I don't use flow snapshots at all usually but when I tested just now, I seem to be able to save them before or after rendering without issue. I can save a full flow snapshot or a snapshot of a flow that is empty (no blocks inserted).

Is it an intermittent problem or every time, and is it only after have done some other work in PR? Let me know if you want to test to see if there's any way I can help.

Here's what I do:

I open PR.
Open a main-image.
Add some block to the flow (just a single bridge-pin, for example, although it makes no difference if the flow is empty)

Then as soon as I try to save a flow-snapshot I get a pop-up error by windows saying this:

"Runtime error. This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

When I close that pop-up PR closes to desktop followed by windows showing a pop-up window saying:

"Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" (doesn't find any though)

This is on win7 x64 using 64bit version of PR 1.0.5.

munki wrote:I find the concept of flow snapshots a bit weird

The ability to save a flow snap-shot, the visual representation or 'blue-print' of the flow, directly from the software is actually a brilliant feature :)
When you've built an extensive archive of flows it isn't always easy to find the specific one you look for just by its name. Looking through images of flow snap-shots is much faster. Especially since the snap-shots also allow for the inclusion of input and output image.
DAP (AOPs): http://jelstudio.dk/DAP/
PhotoReactor (flows, effects and scripts): http://jelstudio.dk/PhotoReactor/
JEL

Postby munki » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 am

No, doesn't crash for me.

Could you try running PR with administrator privileges? - right-click >> run as administrator. If that does help you can do it always by going into the shortcut properties and you'll find always run as administrator in the compatibility panel if I remember rightly.

Brilliant idea yes, but at present are you not building an archive of flakey jpegs that are unstable and might not load back in? Several bugs IMO including Fluff butt's. Better if Oscar embedded the flow schematic as jpegs in the flow file I think like the jpegs we find in tiff, psd or RAW files. It would be shown as a thumb in Explorer or larger in the PR browser. Proprietary format so no confusion for other apps that handle jpegs.

Anyway, I don't mean to argue with people about it, just voicing my concerns in the issues thread or suggesting workarounds for those with less IT experience.

All the best,

-andy
munki

Postby Rachel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Dear Andy,

As a person with less IT experience I want to say thank you. Sometimes I find myself taking the long way around and then discovering that there is a button for that! The more conversation the better. I haven't decided what is the best way for me to save flows that I create or the ones our members are so generous to share. As a flow file I have little information about what it does, imbedded in an images gives me more to go on and that is how I started to save flows, but as I go I find that the flow snapshot gives me a before and after and the actual flow so I can compare it to similar ones. Creating a Virtual effect is great is I have a significant name and icon to remind me what I am using. Easy for the first 30 but after that....
Rachel

Postby munki » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Thank you Rachel, it's definitely good to share info, especially when software is very new.

It might be overkill but if you wanted to get really, really organised, maybe just for favourite flows or definite "keepers" then what I do is create a sub-folder for each type or style, say for example my watercolour sketch effect thing. Then I put the flow files inside, together with any other files like textures and copies of the images before and after that work with that style. and an VRBOX that I make. If you like you could also put a snapshot in there. In my case where I use not just PR I save my files for other software in the folder too.

The .flow files I put in there can have many versions as I work to make it better so I might end up with a bunch of files named watercolour-1.flow, watercolour-2.flow ... and I always know which is the latest as it has the bigger number at the end. If I mess up I can load an older one from before it went wrong.

Another time when I look in that folder I can find all the things I need to make that style of picture together with jpegs or pngs that show me what the style looks like. If I want to create a new, similar style I can just copy the whole folder with a different name and use all those bits to branch off on a new flow.

It might seem a bit OCD or time consuming, but stuff like this saves a lot of time at the other end when you want to find things later.

All the best,

-andy
munki

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Reactor