Pro Extensions? Valid for DVDLabPro2?

DVD-lab, DVD-lab Studio and DLP2

Pro Extensions? Valid for DVDLabPro2?

Postby timoteo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:04 am

Hi:

I just recently built a new machine and was installing my DVDLab Pro2 software onto the new machine when I came across another set of files (setupproex331.exe, setupproex331-1.bin, setupproex331-2.bin, and setupproex341-updateonly.exe). I have a vague recollection of these, but can't remember if they are supposed to be installed for Pro2 or were just for Pro1 (or 1.5) as I've owned all versions of DVDLab.

Could someone tell me exactly what these are and if they should be installed on Pro2?

Thanks!!

-Tim
timoteo

Re: Pro Extensions? Valid for DVDLabPro2?

Postby Vapymid » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:42 am

This was a set of utilities developed by a forum user (Markham) unrelated to Mediachance but designed to work closely with DVDLab. In fact it will not work if it cannot not find DVDLab PRO installed on you system.

The program includes a software DVD player with very useful controls and information panels for testing compiled projects and a MPEG and subtitle editor and demultiplexer.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby timoteo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:03 am

Hi, and thanks for the info. Ok, but just to be clear, you said if it can not find "Pro" ... does this mean it WILL work with Pro2, or just Pro1. If the latter, I suppose I could always just install Pro1 so I could have these tools. Also, do they integrate with DVDLab Pro at all, or are they completely standalone?

Thanks again,
Tim
timoteo

Postby Vapymid » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

Actually, it requires DVDLab v2.xx

Integration: it will put itself into DVDLab's toolbar and into "Tools" menu. The player will also open and attempt to play the latest compiled project in your DVDVOLUME directory.

Regards
Vapymid

Postby timoteo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 am

Ok, cool! Thanks so much for clarifying.

Best,
Tim
timoteo

Postby Markham » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:18 pm

Thank you Vapymid for your kind words about ProEx. It's been a while quite a while since you wrote that and even longer since I was active on the "old" DVD-lab Forum.

Just to give you a bit of background, I moved to the Philippines in mid-2007 from where I did issue at least one update but the internet reliability problems I encountered here at the time made uploading of 2 or 3 megabytes somewhat tortuous. And when I read that Oscar was no longer actively developing DVD-lab and since ProEx did support his latest release, I also stopped working on the extensions.

ProEx was developed in Pascal, actually Borland Delphi v7, and I have since switched most of my development to C#, a .NET language. A year or so ago, I developed a program to download YouTube videos more out of personal need than anything else. However it seems to have attracted quite a few users who appreciate the fact that my program allows the user to select which of the available versions (read resolutions and encoding techniques) are available for a given video - and there can be up to about 30 variants. Recently one of my users requested the ability to transcode from either WEBM or MP4 to MPEG-2 so he could stick his videos onto a DVD and watch them on his TV. Provided the source WEBM/MP4 is one of the higher quality variants, preferably HD, then transcoding to MPEG-2 is almost lossless even using a single pass encoder.

I do have all the source code for ProEx somewhere(!) and I also have Delphi v7. If there is any demand for a re-release of ProEx with maybe adding some new facilities, then I'm happy to do so. I don't have DVD-lab installed but if Oscar can send me a PM with my original Serial Number and Activation codes then I can check that all is working as it should.

Despite the fact DVD-lab is no longer developed, it's good to see that it's still being used and I do recognise quite a number members' names from the "old days" - including Neil's who suggested a number of enhancements for ProEx.
Markham

Postby timoteo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Good to hear from you, Marham. Interesting to know what you have been up to. What is the name of your YT software? Will it allow you to download more than one YT video at a time. There used to be software that allowed for that (like downloading all in a playlist for example), but even those now no longer work and/or are being developed.

Back to Pro Extensions ... count me in as interested in future developments.

Thanks,
Tim
timoteo

Postby Markham » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:58 pm

timoteo wrote:Good to hear from you, Marham. Interesting to know what you have been up to. What is the name of your YT software?

Its called simply "YouTube Downloader" and was originally written to satisfy a personal need. Internet here can be appalling and both my wife and elder son (now aged almost 3) like to watch videos - my wife for Zumba and my son likes the cartoons. Neither appreciate the continuous interruptions whilst the browser buffers the next few seconds. I released it on some Expat Forums but not generally because I really didn't want the support hassles from a mass audience who get something for nothing but expect immediate action/response and for you to sort-out their PC problems.

Will it allow you to download more than one YT video at a time. There used to be software that allowed for that (like downloading all in a playlist for example), but even those now no longer work and/or are being developed.

If you select "normal" videos - those that have both the audio and video streams multiplexed together - then the answer is "yes"; you can download multiple videos concurrently. However Google - which now owns YouTube - is phasing in versions where the audio and video components are in two quite separate file containers and their new (HTML5) player will use those streams; these are the so-called "DASH" videos. If you elect to download one of the DASH options, you choose the video quality version and the audio quality version separately. My downloader automatically multiplexes such files so that they are playable on a PC or tablet (or phone) and in this case, you'll need to wait for the downloads to complete before starting a new one.

Google doesn't like people downloading videos from YouTube and goes to some lengths to make it awkward to do so. Some downloader authors don't bother checking if any changes have been made with the result that their standalone programs or browser extensions stop working.

I'm in the process of testing the latest update and plan to issue it sometime during the next few days. If you want a copy, PM me your email address and I'll add you to the list.

Back to Pro Extensions ... count me in as interested in future developments.

Okay, great, I'll bear that in mind :).

Mark
Markham

Postby Vapymid » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:44 am

Hey, Markham! Long time no see - welcome back! :-)

You can count me as interested too, if you decide to put a new version up.

One request, if I may - it would be better if you would remove the bespoke emailing client for registration. I could never make that work...

Regards
Vapymid

Postby Markham » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 am

Vapymid wrote:Hey, Markham! Long time no see - welcome back! :-)

Thank you, sir!

You can count me as interested too, if you decide to put a new version up.

Okay great, that makes three of us then. I'll contact "Darkframe" in Berlin who was my co-conspirator and chief tester to see if he's interested in helping out again.

One request, if I may - it would be better if you would remove the bespoke emailing client for registration. I could never make that work...

Umm, yes, that is very likely a Good Idea - especially as the email address is (probably) no more ... :roll:

Any other requests? I'll probably add the ability to convert suitable FLV, MP4 and WEBM video files to MPEG-2 Elementary Streams as that is something I will find useful.

Which reminds me. I see that Edit Studio no longer supports MPEG-2 encoding; has anyone suggested to Oscar to use Ffmpeg to do this? The newer versions of Ffmpeg include some very good encoders and its MPEG-2 encoder is excellent even when using its default settings, more than a match for the Mediachance encoder and far more configurable. All that would be required is the construction of a suitable command line and to start a Process (the Process object allows redirection of all output so no ugly "Dos Command Window" need be shown and by parsing the output, a progress bar can provide an indication of current progress [hint: use the "time=" line ;) ]. Simples!).
Markham

Next

Return to DVD-lab Authoring