MMB Recovery Campaign!! <---------** send your comments

Multimedia Builder

Re: MMB Recovery Campaign!! <---------** send your comments

Postby Yuraj » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi all,
(I am MMB veteran) I think It would be much easier to rewrite MMB from scratch (because of obsolete/"unmodern" code) and main priority would be making It compatible with project files created in MMB. Only some MBD file format documentation would be helpful or sharing the binary file structure source code.

Possible plan to revive MMB:
-> first essential thing is to obtain MBD file format documentation or part of the source code from MMB creators (also get permission to use the format or MMB product name)
-> select technology - C# WPF, JavaFX, QT C++ - I would choose between JavaFX for simplicity and crossplatform or QT as an alternative; making It crossplatform is important here (win, mac, linux)
-> make It opensource on github and anyone can contribute
-> make similiar UI like MMB but modernize It
-> make sure that MMB mbd files are compatible (we could make own format or use mbd but we will be limited then - maybe import mbd project would be enough)

It is not an easy task to replicate entire functionality of original MMB - It could take many months but the more people will help the better :) (I have fulltime job as programmer but this is OK as free time sideproject for me)
If there are enough people who would contribute - count me in then. I would bootstrap the project If we make a deal :)

Vote in poll please:
http://www.strawpoll.me/15087902

BTW: I have been using MMB in my early years and created many plugins and tools http://yuraj.ucoz.com/index/0-13
PS: If the things will start to move on - we can create a discord or slack channel about the plans and development.
Yuraj

Postby tiniko » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:32 pm

I am very supportive of the mmb upgrade. I love this language very much
tiniko

Postby rikintosh » Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm

I think MMB can be redone from an MMB project! I have created complex programs in the past, developed a coreldraw-like software on mmb, and even a software designer tool kit, which consisted of using the mmb player to develop and distribute projects created within a mmb project.
rikintosh

Postby mmmahdy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am

MMB in age of Windows XP was the best way to escape from not friendly space of VB6 or VC++
(and same when QBasic helped in age of DOS for let you just think for your programs, instead of thinking crazy about choosing headers and variables and following unfriendly libraries and kill yourself for just a test or compiling and etc...)
Maybe not in first days, but yes after people could do something between programming and scripting mixed in that.

I dont talk just about MMB, i talk about a great idea to help people feel they can make what they have in their imaginations... maybe professional programmers think it is a big wasting time when some people come here and ask about "Can i make Microsoft Office with MMB?", "Can i make a game like Call of Duty by MMB?", "Can i do anything with MMB?"!!!
I want to say it great. in a complicated atmosphere like world of programmers, it is really great!

I am late in this topic because i am 90% hopeless to someone think serious about MMB (or something same) again.
It is same to what happened for Flash AS2. If you just know what flash could do simply in web and local in around 2004, you will be agree CSS3 + Javascript + HTML never can do same till right now in 2018. but now nobody care that much.
(Big companies decide, and poor developers follow)

Now developers think about web solutions more without care a device anymore (more useful), but it not means no any place for windows applications that still are bests for official and stable works.

this kind of topics are not new but i say my
+1 VOTE

The highest respect for people like Oscar, Dgilmour, Silvercover, Yuraj, Delboy, that made, improved or kept whats good. + All people here.
Best regards
PAPION
papionbit.com
mmmahdy

Previous

Return to MMB