Realistic portrait help

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: Realistic portrait help

Postby Califmike33 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:25 am

Yeah I already loaded those onto my OneDrive the link that you left in there what I don't understand is some of them you just open the file and click on it and it automatically opens D AP and they go right in.

When I open the dap and go to tools install templates then I click on all of those folders from that link it does nothing it's looking for dpk files but a lot of those folders don't have dpk files they have aop files.

The ones where I extract the folder and I open the folder and it says aop how do you get that into the Program dap program?

Let's take the Bob Ross aop for example when you open in the folder up after you've downloaded it it has aop files in it it has no dpk how do I get to Bob Ross into dap and make it work can't figure it out?
Califmike33

Postby mitch » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 am

Hi
Just extract all the files in the downloaded zip file to the "objectpacks" folder in your dap path
something like :- ( C:/program files/Dap/objectpacts)
Then when you start up DAP the "Bob Ross" will be listed in the presets
Ron
mitch

Postby rgalka » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:21 pm

What mitch said.. just know that the way templates were "packaged" changed over time. Originally you had to put everything into the proper folders manually, later they were packed in one file, then that format changed to what we have today. Of course those that you need to install manually are older although that does not necessarily mean they aren't useful.
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for the info there's a few of them that look pretty interesting even though there way back from 2010 they still look pretty interesting. I want to try I'm so thanks for the advice and the help.
Califmike33

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 pm

I hope the next version of this program will have better options for portraits somebody started another thread and mention basically that this program does not do good portraits and I have to agree even some of the aop that people have created there are a couple decent ones but I feel the weakness of this program is definitely portraits.

Landscape still lives everything else when you match the right Painter with the right scene it doesn't very good job. Like I mentioned earlier I'm trying topaz labs impression free 30-day trial I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it with some of the painting stuff that it does.

I think there's just not one program that does everything unfortunately.
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Portraits can be done, but require multiple renders with masks, and the use of photoshop to blend together. And I suppose that there is a issue of what each of us calls a "good" portrait.

one thing comes to mind as an additional tool.. are you aware of the check box that you can uncheck to have DAP not clear your previous render before starting another? And by that I mean that you can say render an image with the Monet template, and stop it at any point in the process... say just after the underpainting, and then render with any other template after masking out the background an have it only render the person?
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm

I didn't know that I'm going to have to try that that sounds like you could get some interesting results. You're right to get good portraits it's a lot of work you have to take it in to photoshop and and do work on it.

Where Landscapes and still lights I've seen fantastic ones come straight out of the box.

I'm going to try your double render and see what I can come up with.
Califmike33

Postby Califmike33 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:23 am

I'm going to find you some portraits of what I think a good portraits I just been super super busy starting a new job and everything I'm going to show you what I mean.

I'm using dap, fotosketcher and topaz Studios impression. Their strengths and weaknesses to all three programs I would have to say out of the 60 prints I've done out of my printer the one looks the most realistic to an oil painting after print it out on William Turner paper is fotosketcher. Now as far as watercolors go I would say d a p is probably the best for watercolors. As far as topaz Studios go it's a mixed bag some of them print out okay some of them to me don't print out well at all and don't look good at all but like I said all three programs have their weaknesses and their strengths.

I've tried many different papers I tried William Turner I've tried Epson velvet I've tried canson aquarelle rag. I just got the canson paper and I have to say it's pretty darn good I've been having trouble with the William Turner paper with some of the ink scratching off off some prints and not off of others.

But I think the print that I made on William Turner out of fotosketcher looked impressively like a oil painting of Zion National Park probably the best one I've printed out out of all three programs out of all the prince I've made it's probably the most realistic-looking and other people I've showed tend to agree. But I will say that the canson paper is very good for watercolors it's got really good colors great texture it's a very nice paper.

Need to buy some more ink I'm going to try portraits that I've made on all three programs and print them out on some different paper and see which paper the portraits look best on I'm just doing a lot of experimentation.

I had hopes that maybe I could sell some turning them into paintings and I don't know I've heard of people doing it but I think it's I don't know maybe I have too much expectations that they're going to look too much like a painting or not they don't look enough like a real painting to me there's somewhere between a photograph in a painting closer to a painting and obviously than a photograph but maybe again like I said before maybe my expectations are just too high maybe I learn need to learn how to actually paint.

Anyways sorry to ramble and Ramble On I just thought I'd share some of my experiences but dap is a very good program I would say out of everything I've tried on this program I like the watercolor artist the best I think when you print those out those look the most realistic to me.

I'll probably continue to use all three programs and I still need to take stuff inside Photoshop so I can just see it's going to take awhile to learn how to do all this stuff and kind of Master it. But I will say that I am having a blast and I really enjoy it I prefer doing this much over regular straight photography and just printing out photo prints I definitely prefer to play with the images and manipulate them and turn them into digital paintings I've just really come to like that.

I've done a lot of research to this program has been out for about 9 or 10 years there used to be a fairly good following of this program but it died off for five years ago I don't know why it just never kept going. I see there's a lot of people that use Corel Paint there's a lot of people that use gimp there's some people there's a decent amount of people I see that you fotosketcher and there's quite a few people who use topaz Labs impression. What's nice is you can take images from d a p and you can run them through fotosketcher without really ultrain what you did to them in d a p. I really love the textures in fotosketcher I think they're far superior to daps choice of canvases so I often take my images from d a p and I run them through fotosketcher just to get a nice texture background to make it feel more like a painting and it works very well.

I also take images from d a p and run them through topaz Labs impression to put little extra tweaks on them but that tends to alter the whole photo more anyways enough for rambling on I will post some portrait paintings of what I think are good and how I wish this program or other programs could portray them.
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Thanks for sharing all that information on your printing tests.. I haven't really done much of that.

Just a recommendation if you want to try selling your work... check our fineartamerica [dot] com you can start a free account and upload only 25 images for $30 a year, yes a year not per month, you get unlimited uploads and more...

https://fineartamerica.com/openanaccount.html
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:34 am

Yeah I had to look on Fine Art America and there's some nice images sure seems awfully cheap. Wright I'm guessing those are just downloads you just download the image I'm guessing for that price it's not an actual print.

Yeah I was thinking of selling them with a matte around them basically ready to put in a frame already printed on museum quality matting Museum quality printing paper.
Califmike33

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter