Realistic portrait help

Discussion about Mediachance DAP

Re: Realistic portrait help

Postby rgalka » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:02 pm

No. there are no downloads from Fineartamerica. For example for a simple 8X10 print FAA will take $12.35 you can add whatever markup you want and that is what you will get. Let's say you want $20.00 for your 8X10 print that means the purchase price that a customer sees will be $32.35 That is just for the 8x10 you can different profits for each different size. That is all up to you, and they, FAA, will never have sales that effect your profit like other sites do.

So yes the prices are for actual delivered prints.
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Is anybody had any success selling d a p Prints that site?
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:31 am

Short answer is yes. on the main page you can enter "recently sold" and see by category what has recently sold.

Long answer is that FAA markets themselves and are the best at SEO [search engine optimization]
You have to market you own images. They will occasionally feature an artist, but don't hold you breath. Being good at SEO when someone uses google to search an "owl painting", or "owl art", or "owl drawing"... FAA with appear at or near the top of the hit list. so even if they have never heard of FAA they will be led there.

Now... you have to realize that you will get no notice for subjects like flowers, dogs, cats, butterflies, waterfalls, etc... there are millions of images of those already there on FAA.
you have to try to be someone unique. For example people are always searching about their home town, or their parents home town... if you have images of your home town upload them. If you travel take lots of images of local landmarks and upload them. Then you also have the job of properly tagging your images so that google can index them. So your image of the old bowling alley needs tags like bowling, bowling, [the name of the bowling alley], [the name of the town], [ any other object that appear in the image], [and color that stands out in the image], [the time period of the image], neon [if the bowling alley sign is a neon one]… etc.

So you have to market yourself. there are automatic postings to your facebook and twitter accounts if you turn that on, so everytime you upload a new image your followers will see it.

also with your account you automatically get an account to pixels.com Check that site out... there you will see all the non-artsy things that you can sell with your images.. mugs, t-shirts, tote bags, phone cases.. etc

I have a free account and I uploaded some images and done nothing else. I have no real social network and have done no marketing.. I sold 8 prints, 3 tote bags, and some greeting cards.
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:40 pm

I'm glad to hear that you sold some Prince that sounds great I've looked on the site it looks like a decent website.

So basically you're paying them $12 for the privilege of putting it up and they're going to print it that's correct they're providing the print?

The only thing that concerns me about that would be the choice of paper that they're using when representing somebody's work cuz printing papers make a huge difference in how the image looks.

But selling for IC average of 20 for $25 I guess that's for an 8 by 10 that's not bad the prices that the artist actually make seams kite on the low end.

But I read all kinds of threads on hear people saying you need loads and loads and loads of images to put up you got to know how to use keywords so people can find them.

The Art Market in photography Market is so oversaturated I don't know how you can be different nowadays how do you stand out from other people I would like to know that.

I think the fact that these are actually digital paintings that look fairly close to an actual real painting is going to make you stand out somewhat but as far as particular what the images of everything's been done so many times over I don't know how you stand out.

I'm going to work on putting them adjust together that I think are worthy of actually putting up on the site and see what happens but I need to build up a bunch of them first off at least 20-25 before I even attempt to put anything on that site and I've only got about five right now that I actually think they're worth anything.

But thank you for your reply and for all the information it's very helpful and I've had some other information at some other programs have been turned onto me that are similar digital painting programs that actually work exceptionally well I'm portraits I'm really excited.
Califmike33

Postby Califmike33 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:43 pm

I've basically come to the realization that all of these so-called auto painting programs suck and do not do portraits.

. I have tried d a p and all of its custom aol's I have tried akvis oil I've also tried jixipix impreso pro I don't like the results of any of them for portraits.

Landscape is a different story between all three of those programs you can actually come up with some pretty damn good landscapes I don't know what it is about portraits that these programs don't do well but to me they just don't do it they don't get it done and that would be my biggest wish for the next version of this program and the others that they would make a portrait section.
Califmike33

Postby Califmike33 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeah I'm going to put some stuff on Fine Art America and give it a try.

I read an interesting article though I'm digital art digital art will never be unique it'll never be like an original painting it'll never bring in big money you'll never make a lot of money selling digital art because there is no original it can be reaped reprinted and repented and reprinted and reprinted which takes away from the art markets desire to get their hands on it.

I've read some success stories about people that have made for $5,000 a year extra in selling digital art but those seem to be about the best case ideal scenarios.

I think digital art just hasn't caught on yet I don't know if they'll ever will I don't know because there's always going to be original oil paintings and watercolors which takes way more Talent than pushing a button and manipulating software.

Same reason photography some pranks go for big money from Ansel Adams and stuff like that but those are few and far between because they can be reproduced and print it over and over and over.

I'm not looking to make a living at it of course I wish I had the gift to paint real paintings with paint and brushes but unfortunately I don't have that a decent at photography but I much prefer the painting look over a regular photograph.

If I could just sell a few here and there I probably be happy I'm certainly going to give it a heck of a try.

It's far as being unique and different I don't remotely see how that's possible everybody's done flowers everybody's done landscapes what she'll does painters like Monet Picasso they have their own unique Style there was something very unique and beautiful about their paintings.

Now hundreds of years later everything's been photographed everything's been painted everything's been manipulated into digital art in my opinion standing out is 75 80% of the battle is trying to look different than everybody else which item look at as an easy accomplishment.

You told me that you sold eight prints on Fine Art America over how big of a time span?

Are you selling prints anywhere else have you made any real money?

These are all questions did I like to find out before I invest money into different products to be able to do this so anybody that comes across this article that is sold not just using this software from this site but other software there are dozens of software programs that turn photos into paintings some are garbage some pretty decent.

So I wait to hear feedback from various people and now there's not very many people on this forum anymore but anybody else on here I would love to hear your disappointments or your successes.
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 pm

You can't go by what I have done.. I just threw 25 images up. I added some tags and descriptions for Google to index and that was it. I do not use social media.. I did not do any marketing. I did participate in the FAA discussions and posted images there as well as joined a few FAA groups that I shared interests in... there also I posted some of my images in the discussions. That was all. The images that I sold were pure luck.. I do not know how the buyers found my images.

I have not posted them on any other site.. I was just seeing what it was all about.. I am way too lazy to market myself.

FAA does not market your images.. it only markets the FAA and Pixels website. They do provide tools to help you post your images to your social apps But you have to do your own marketing, you have to be active on the FAA web site. It is up to you to drive buyers to your galleries, and there is no "one way" to make that happen.

Let's say you are an artist that likes to paint portraits of dogs.. well join every dog forum you can find! Join the poodle lovers forum, the Yorkshire terrier forum, the basset hound forum... etc.. and start dropping a few of your images in their discussions... post a discussion asking for members help in identifying the specific breed of one of your paintings.

The main thing though concerning FAA is that the owner works everyday on FAA's SEO [ Search Engine Optimization ] so that when someone is googling watercolor of an owl..... then images of owls from FAA are the top of the search hit list.
That means you have to work on adding all the tags you can think of on your image.. as well as working in words and phrases that relate to your image into your image descriptions.

Get your images into as many pinterest list as you can.

The other tip that I got from the FAA discussions is that if you do images of locations that can be thought of as local iconic images... say some architectural building in small towns... you might capture some sales because you will not have much competition. Right now the baby boomers are all retired and most have moved away from their childhood hometown and are getting nostalgic. They will be googling their hometown. If they are doing images searches and you have images from that town your images will be included in their search hits.

So if you are a traveler on your travels through small towns take lots of pictures of old movie theaters, school building, restaurants, churches, water towers, parks, bridges, ballfields. Anything you can fill in the blank in this sentence... Remember the old _________?

You seem to be set on portraits... I do not know how to sell portraits of unknown people to others... I guess you could offer to create "paintings" from people's old photographs. But how to advertise that I do not know.
rgalka

Postby Califmike33 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm not hung up on portraits at all I like doing portraits for friends and I just find the problem none of these programs seem to do portraits very well and I'm wondering why.

Like I said I've been trying new programs lately and I have found one that does a pretty decent job but it's like all these programs that really depends on the photo to begin with.

Yeah I know Fine Art America's not downloads that you pay and you purchase a print and then they send you a print I'm just saying the prices that I've seen have been I guess Fine Art America takes $12 or something like that as a fee most of the stuff I see selling is about 24 to $25 that's a $12 profit doesn't seem like a whole lot.

Yes I know that you can price them as you want as long as they get their $12 but from searching around that site in general that's about what they're going for an I believe that's probably for an 8 by 10 so the bigger the print you so obviously you could charge more money.

I'm definitely going to give it a go I'm definitely going to get on that site I want to get on Etsy I want to get on there's two or three other sites that I've read about I'm going to get on all of them and I'm going to give it a go I don't expect to get rich but some extra cash would be nice.

The way you're describing for me to be different and unique sounds like a stock agency like you want me to go out and take pictures of well-known things that's not my style dude I don't take pictures of monuments and well-known things within the city that's just not my cup of tea.

That sounds like I'm putting stuff on a stock agency and I can't do that so I will find stuff that I like and I'll put it up and it'll either seller it won't but I don't want to photograph things monuments are famous things within the city or stuff like that. Didn't photograph six million times.

But thank you for all the tips and the insights and I will post a portrait that I did off of some new software that I bought if I can figure out how to post a photo on this site.

Yeah you only had 25 in images up and you've sold 1/8 that's pretty that's not bad I thought you had a whole lot more images up on that site but the more you put up I'm guess you increase your chances.
Califmike33

Postby Califmike33 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:19 pm

On Fine Art America I'm wondering how do you list the print as paintings mixed media digital art what are the photos that come from this program in your selling them on Fine Art America what are you listing them under?

And aren't the bigger the file size the more images you can sell because they span anywhere from something small to something big which if someone orders a large print you're going to make more money but the pixels coming out of this program or not that big.
Califmike33

Postby rgalka » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 am

Yea, I had that issue as well. What I ended up doing was if "I" felt that the image looked like a watercolor that was the medium I used... same if it looked like an oil painting that is what I used. Buyers are "generally" not interested in the process only the look of the print. You are not obligated to detail your process anymore than a magician is obligated how he cut the lady in half.

Ultimately as far as prints go, the only thing that FAA is selling are prints. NOT watercolors, or oil, or pastel paintings. So don't overthink it. BUT just cover yourself mention somewhere in your bio or in the image description that the image started as a photograph that was digitally transformed. Since all mine fell into that category I just put it into my bio.

As far as size DAP's large and poster size is plenty. However you probably noticed that the larger sizes sometime loose some of the look you can get from the smaller sizes. BUT you can save your image as a 2X size.

I normally always do post processing in Photoshop and save out around 5000px on the largest side and that is good for anything on FAA.
rgalka

PreviousNext

Return to Dynamic Auto Painter