Improved visability of button activation. Suggestions please

DVD-lab, DVD-lab Studio and DLP2
peterlloyd

Improved visability of button activation. Suggestions please

Post by peterlloyd »

I am seeking to improve the confirmation to the user that a button has been activated.I have many simple buttons on a menu used to set values of GPRM registers. After a button has been selected and activated, a value is set by a VM command on the link and control is returned to the originating menu. So unless there is a very clear confirmation of activation the user does not know that the value has been set. I have used the color map for these group 3 buttons to select weak almost transparent color selection for "normal" and "selected" but an opaque bold color selection for "activated". On most hardware and software DVD players that I have tried, most but not all button activations have highly variable and inconsistent visibility.

Suggestions please
Thanks
Peter

Vapymid

Re: Improved visability of button activation. Suggestions pl

Post by Vapymid »

A simple way is to add an audio stream to the menu which has some transient sound effect (a click or a beep or a chime ding) in the beginning, followed by silence. In this way, every time the menu is restarted the user will hear the sound and will know that a button has worked.

More complicated is to use switched menues - link each button to a menu which will show the selected number, time-out quickly (say in 3 sec) and return back to the original menu...

Regards

videonut

Post by videonut »

A simple way is to add an audio stream to the menu which has some transient sound effect (a click or a beep or a chime ding) in the beginning, followed by silence.
Do you know a way to accomplish that without using cells? ie. Play the audio only once on an infinite menu. I'd love to do that with a component script I have, but the only way I've found is by linking to a menu that contains the "ding" that links to the menu with duration inf - because there's no apparent way to access cells with the script language.
My scripts use no politically-correct language,
and my components contain no Chinese parts.

Vapymid

Post by Vapymid »

I've done some tests and there is a way, but it will require manual adjustments to both IFOs and VOBs for each such menu after the final compilation.

It works as follow:

In DVDLab you add a short audio effect clip to the relevant menues, then compile the finished project.
Open the compiled DVD with PGCEdit, open the menu's PGC, set the "Cell still time" to 255 seconds, save the DVD after you've edited all relevant menues.
Open VIDEO_TS.VOB (for VMG menues) or VTS_xx_0.VOB (for VTS menues) with VOBEdit, then
- find the first Navigation Pack of each relevant menu
- tick "Button" check-box to show buttons data
- set "Highlight end time (PTM)" and "Button selection end time" parameters to -1

If you have many such menues in your project it may just be too much of a hassle to go through...

Regards