Flash Content End Of Life

Multimedia Builder (Legacy Forum)
Sk8cynic

Flash Content End Of Life

Post by Sk8cynic »

Hi,

As of January 2021, flash content is no longer supported in apps that use swf files or other flash content.

I have two flash (swf) apps in mmb (timers) that I really need to keep. The help file says it's possible to embed the flash runtime in the apps but even when I try that the apps don't display correctly after they're compiled. I made sure the "Embed Flash Runtime" box is checked before I compile the program but no luck.

Where does the ActiveX (Flash.ocx?) control have to reside to be embedded (included) in the app? Does it go in the main mmb program folder, embedded with the project or somewhere else? Up until now, any browser would handle the flash content but now it's been removed.

Removing flash support for apps really throws a wrench into the gears, at least for me.

Thanks for any help.

Nigg

Re: Flash Content End Of Life

Post by Nigg »

Flash is the most insecure technology on the Internet. There's no changing that, and EOL was first announced in 2017.

Try this https://pdfrecover.herokuapp.com/swftoexe/

or convert it to HTML5/JS.

Sk8cynic

Post by Sk8cynic »

Hi Nigg,

Thanks for the reply. I have already done what you suggested with some success, but I was trying to figure out how to get a flash movie I have to play starting with a specific frame before compiling. Just an FYI, I found a stand alone emulator to play flash content. It's available at https://ruffle.rs/. It's easy to port an swf file with this emulator with ruffle.exe filename.swf. Not all flash content works with it, but it's pretty good.

I'm still trying to figure out how to jump to a specific frame.

Thanks again....:) :)

Nigg

Post by Nigg »

If it's just a movie, I would recommend converting it to MP4. Sometimes it is also possible to extract the resources directly from the SWF.