Need Name for application

Discussion about Mediachance DAP
Oscar
Site Admin

Need Name for application

Post by Oscar »

I am working on long planned node based image prototyping, workbench kind of tool.
The idea is that you can draw your own image processing filter add controls and box it as a black-box superfilter etc.... Like imagine you would do 20 steps to achieve some favorite image processing and you would like those steps to keep as an black box filter of its own for later to drop into the flow. But you would also like to have certain parameters in those many steps fully tweakable like on filter - so you pull out the control outside of the complex filter. This way you can create nested processing flows that is tweakable to the bottom level, yet easily applicable to many images. And unlike macros you can easily achieve branching etc, where macros are linear, the node based editing is inherently parallel so you practically work in layers but from different perspective. Also it should be easy to exchange those boxes between users and perhaps extend this with a script based objects and more.

I didn't yet come up with a catchy name, if you have some great ideas for a name let me know. Also any other ideas.

Here is a screenshot of my working proof of concept. The flow is just nothing really as I don't yet have any effects in the software (just layer blend and Black & White filter) but should give you some idea.
It is build such way so adding new effects is a very simple task for me - the interface builds by itself, it is more like plug and play.

Edit: I settled on Photo Reactor name and it has its new topic:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3990

darth50743

Re: Name for application

Post by darth50743 »

A simple but descriptive name : TWEAK

Fluffbutt

Re: Need Name for application

Post by Fluffbutt »

PIE Factory = P.I.E. Factory

Meaning:

Programmable Image Editing Factory.

LigH

Post by LigH »

@ darth50743:

If the name is too simple and generic (like ERightSoft's video converter "SUPER"), people will have issues finding it in a websearch if they don't add more details like the name of the author/publisher; they will get millions of unrelated hits first. It has to be unique somehow.
__

The idea reminds me on the Filter Forge; I played with its beta but dropped it when the price became ridiculous.

Before that, there was already a legacy toolkit, the Adobe Filter Factory.

Another tool with a similarly flexible and hierarchical workflow is Terragen 2.

Also there was a project called AVE (AviSynth Visual Editor) which should help building an AviSynth video filtering script using visual elements of clips and filters.

No better name suggestion from me right now, but I hope the list of existing software helps others to make one. It may depend on some more details, e.g. if it will be a stand-alone application only, or shall be available as PhotoShop compatible plugin too, with the application being the creating part and the plugin being the executing part.
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group

smmsamm

Post by smmsamm »

DAF
Dynamic Auto Filter

Wutz

Post by Wutz »

smmsamm wrote:DAF
Dynamic Auto Filter
That sounds good!

LigH

Post by LigH »

But it may not match the purpose; "auto" suggests an automatic building of a filter hierarchy, but I believe that has to be done manually.

I don't mind "Dynamic", so maybe ... "Dynamic Filter Studio".
#MediaChances — a deviantArtist group

lylejk

Post by lylejk »

Looks cool Oscar. If you can actually take the result and export the customer's effort as a PS (8bf) filter, then you could sell this. There are a lot of commercial node editors out there already though otherwise which will be competition to your efforts such as PostworShop Pro (yes, I have this one too). Not sure if Filter Forge would allow the customer to export their effort as a PS compatible filter. Still, I like how you keep the creative juices stirring and have the talent to actually do something about it. :)

lylejk

Post by lylejk »

Oh well, I'll come up with a possiblility. How about keeping it simple and to the point. Photo-Nodal. Maybe Paradigm editor (not so intuative, but see my prose below as to why).

As a side note, I know nodal editing is the future of editing programs; 100% convinced of it. You get both easy control as well as self-documentation (hate the term lossless) that is demanded. I'm a gonzo editor myself (GIMper) but there's even talks within the GIMP community to enable node based editing. Photoshop, as far as I know, has yet to join the bandwagon so they will eventually get caught in their own paradigm. :)

Oscar
Site Admin

Post by Oscar »

Keep the ideas flowing... (actually some sort of flow could be a good part of the name too)

The main point why I always wanted to do such tool is that when I am creating some image processing I am working on a very mockup application and anything I need to tweak I had to do by hardcoding then recompilling because for simple tests I am obviously lazy to do any interface. I spent hideous amount of time working with that simple mockup and it is annoying beyond belief to even remember steps I have to do in order to achieve certain effect. I remember couple of times I was looking at the image and I could not remember what steps I did. Node editing completely solves this - the recipe is right in front of you because you do the editing by creating the recipe.

So I started doing this and build a structure that actually automatically creates the interface for me, I just need to drop the processing, tell in few lines what are the parameters and bingo the system figures out everything by itself. So this allows me to add any and every process I have been working on within just few minutes. And ultimatelly it should also allow for very simple plug-in interface so anybody can write simple processing that will snap right in without the burden of making interface.

Honestly I got totally excited when I saw how the workflow simply "does" it and how it all figures out the correct sizes for preview, the correct steps for the flow, allocates/deallocates memory as needed, passes the data to modules - and I don't really have to do anything. I played with it and said, wow this is really brilliant. This could really be an application.

As for the output as photoshop plugin - this would be an ultimate dream. So far I have very crude photoshop plugin code and it isn't even updated for 64 bit, but I assume when everything would work, this would be an interesting thing to add. I practically need only one plugin dll that reads the "recipe" and executes it, I don't actually have to "build" the plugin each time I would like to export as plugin. I can probably even hire someone to build the plugin base (the adobe sdk is just so over engineered that you really need to spent time on it)

But so far even as standalone it is pretty wild. I will be posting updates on the progress.