DAP Tips and Tricks

Discussion about Mediachance DAP
Kai

Re: DAP Tips and Tricks

Post by Kai »

Easy way to remove unwanted AOPs from your DAP.
Goto programe folder,looking for sub directory named 'objectpacks' that store all AOPs.
Delete 4 file of AOP that you want to delete it (xxx.aop,xxx.ao2,xxx.grf,xxx.pal).
Press Shift+Delete will delete this AOP forever,after deleted restart your apllication.

Hope help.
Kai.

Fluffbutt

Post by Fluffbutt »

atomicmak wrote:Hi all,
Now the problem comes in when we make 16mp or 24 or 32.
The software works like same and the logic is 4 times higher strokes than we do at 6mp but the kind of details it gives is very different.

So question is what if we want same strokes and style like 6mp in 16 or 24 so that we can later make big prints.
Have posted 6mp work in watercolor section and wish to make a big print but 6mp is just not enough for the desired print size.

Any help on this ?
Well, considering the changes made by DAP on an image, a little detail lost in an upscaleing algorithm would amount to nothing.

If you have irfanview, his Lanczos resampling routines are GOOD.
Or you can use PhotoZoom, a paid application which is good too.

Just make the 6mp output and then resize it to 200%. You'll find the image is still very usable. I'll post an e.g.:
(The loss of details would spoil an image for a wall or such - if kept as a photograph. From a dapped image it won't matter so much.

#1 is the original 1920x1080 image, cropped to the left hand side lower:
zz crop small.jpg
zz crop small.jpg (51.22 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
¦
#2 is same image, Lanc. resampled in Ifranview to double dimensions, same cropped area:
zz crop big.jpg
zz crop big.jpg (122.41 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Now here's the same image, dapped with A2, straight settings as is, #1 is original, #2 is dap output resampled to 200% (also had to drop jpg quality a bit to keep within forum size). Same crop as above.
ZWine_DAP_A2 small.jpg
ZWine_DAP_A2 small.jpg (134.46 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
ZWine_DAP_A2 big.jpg
ZWine_DAP_A2 big.jpg (187.08 KiB) Viewed 4815 times

Fluffbutt

Post by Fluffbutt »

So, based on my mini-test above, I think you'd be safe doing a dap on a 6mp for a certain stroke style you like, then resizing it up to a canvas print size.

A small loss of detail won't hurt a dapped image, and might even improve (because of the blend-interpolation effect looking like watercolour textures) it.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Fluff, thanks for the test and the clear declaration of the results. I do need to print my work more often in a size larger than 4X5. Now I won't worry so much about my file size. I love the impressionistic look best of all for my flowers and such, more of a feeling than a fact, as it were. (Not that I often attain this, mind you.)

Fluffbutt

Post by Fluffbutt »

Rachel wrote:Fluff, thanks for the test and the clear declaration of the results. I do need to print my work more often in a size larger than 4X5. Now I won't worry so much about my file size. I love the impressionistic look best of all for my flowers and such, more of a feeling than a fact, as it were. (Not that I often attain this, mind you.)
Rach, it really depends on what size and what STYLE:

A watercolour is OK, the wet strokes become waterier as you expand the image.

A picture with strong brush marks or canvas detail (or an impasto 3D look) will fare worse when enlarged, and needs the bigger file input to it.

If you expand those images to full size. you can see how the brush marks became bigger as the image was resized.

primelpott

Post by primelpott »

Hi all,

i think i should give you something back for all the good advices and aops and, and, and ...

I made a little program that may assist creating of AOPs. I think it's inconvenient to build the jpg pictures with a normal picture editor. This little program may help.
But be careful: It just some kind of prototype. Tested only with Win7/X64. And you need .net Framework 4 (will be download automatically during install). This comes without any guarantee
AOPMaker.png
AOPMaker.png (77.8 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
Usage is fairly simple. You have two tabs (one for color, one for brushes (alpha-Channel)) with 10 x 10 cells. You can add a color from the selector on the right by selectin color and then click in the desired rectangle.
Or you can put the actual contens of your clipboard in this rect. Contens of the clipboard is shown in the section clipboard. The clipboard will used, if not empty. You can empty it by clicking on "Clear Now!" or specify to delete automatically after pasting. Clipboard contens size will be adjusted to cell size.
You can save as color jpg (3000x3000) pix or as brush jpg (they're technically just the same).

Bugreports and new ideas are really appreciated - but i can't garantee any response time - i will do my best. This is just a starting point.
If you think this is useless, please tell me so. :mrgreen:

Download from http://www.digital-companion.de/downloa ... PMaker.exe

If something doesn't work - just tell me! I'll try to fix it. But remember: this is just a teaser!

Carsten.

anecessaryevil

Post by anecessaryevil »

Looks interesting, Carsten.
I will give it a try when I work on my next AOP.
THanks! :)
All photos I use are my photos unless otherwise noted in the post.

lylejk

Post by lylejk »

Very cool Carsten. I actually created a grid template in GIMP to assist me but you still have to may a conscience effort to stay inside the grid. I assume your program restricts you to stay within each block. Anyway, thanks for sharing it. :)

primelpott

Post by primelpott »

lylejk wrote: I assume your program restricts you to stay within each block.
Yes, that's right: it is strictly "block-bound". :oops:
I'm working on a feature to select multiple blocks and apply a colour gradient to the selection.
Is this what you want, or do you have something different in mind?

Cheers,
Carsten.

mhwarner

Post by mhwarner »

Carsten,
Haven't had a chance to look at your program yet, but I'm wondering how the brush blocks work. Do you copy brush images to the clipboard and paste them?