DAP 5.0 released

Discussion about Mediachance DAP
Oscar
Site Admin

DAP 5.0 released

Post by Oscar »

Just uploaded it to the web:

http://www.mediachance.com/files/dappro5.exe

I have literally no more energy left at this moment and need a bit of a break. The web will be updated during the night/tomorrow.
Hope all works reasonably well, I had been on this version on and off for many months.
Also v.5 no longer needs Admin privileges - all is now saved in documents.

To upgrade, the V5 should recognize if you have registration for v.4 and then shows also Upgrade button on the main interface. If not, just enter your previous reg code to the Enter Reg code button and it should offer the upgrade link.

What's new from version 4 to version 5:
new processing during underpaint called value mask that changes transparency of brushes dynamically (as if parts of the images are masked), For example it can preserve white spaces in watercolor. this makes the result more realistic while you can easy up on dry reveal step to preserve more of the brushwork.
substitution brushes. This was half there but never finished. The process will think it paints with one set of brushes (guide), but then actually put down a brush from a parallel set. This allows for difficult templates, mostly ones that have lot of transparencies like pencil drawings, transparent watercolor - currently the system would choke on them and not put them on properly. But now you can add a "guide" template which has easy brushes to work.

Variations
Variations for each preset. Variations will use the same brush set as the parent but can have different settings (and reactor effects) without copying the whole brush template. Also they will appear nested in presets so say Benson can have 5 variations hidden inside but they can be pretty different.
added variations and their management to template Editor

User File Management
saving/ modifying templates is done in user document - no longer "run as administrator" needed
Template editor save and load now use a template management system that keeps track which templates had been modified

The user management will keep track of which templates are modified and also allows "rolling back" changes from factory supplied templates.

The presets tab will become the ONLY way to select the presets no longer the small square presets in Painter tab. Instead only the selected preset and variations will be displayed in the Painter tab
Clone tool in Retouch
Painting preview now fits the whole window during its process, instead of the smaller preview in the middle, also ability to see painting in 1:1 pixel size during painting. You can revert back to v.4 small preview if you wish so (the old way is about 30% faster)
dry reveal step will be now much faster if a reactor is used for dry reveal process (like many new v.4 presets).
Reactor effects can now be adjusted with more parameters (previously only a single parameter had been adjustable with reactor effects)
Templates and variations now have a large preview.
Image Browser has a collection virtual folder where you can add images.

New Layers
Redesigned and much more powerful layers window. Now you can add many image processing functions in the layers as fully dynamic effects. There are other tricks such as adding layers and effects as a mask for a layer or adding effects only to the layer below (Clip to Layer)

a selector to change order when the Material is going to be applied (like before Outline, after Outline, after layers...)

Batch Processing
Full Batch processing that takes a folder and paint it with selected template and chosen post processing
A Multi-Template batch will use current image and paint it with selected or even all available templates.

lcanter

Re: DAP 5.0 released

Post by lcanter »

Thanks - purchased the upgrade and am playing with it, but there is an apparent bug, at least under Windows 10. If I click on anything else (another program) while DAP 5 is processing, it crashes the program -I've tried this numerous times and the same result. DAP just stops.

Oscar
Site Admin

Post by Oscar »

Oh my, that's when the reactor calculation is displaying those little boxes!
Check it, if it is painting, not calculating reactor, it should not crash.

I am removing this for now for a quick fix and will post the file shortly.

Oscar
Site Admin

Post by Oscar »

Ok, the fix is in, v. 5.0.1

It removed the drawing of the reactor nodes. Now it should not crash. Of course I forgot to change version so now check updates will report it is still 5.0 even if it is 5.0.1. But never mind, it is just temporary....

I am fixing it fully so I can put the displaying back, it will be in 5.0.2 later this evening.

Edit 5.0.2 is out now. tested it on my Win 10

Lugi

Post by Lugi »

Oscar - I hope You add a way to use my Dap 4 Layers that I made, so they work in Dap 5, and also add Rename for renaming AOP files I really miss that in Dap 5 !!

Lugi
Last edited by Lugi on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lcanter

Post by lcanter »

Oscar, thanks for the quick response. All seems fine now.

LadyArtist

Post by LadyArtist »

If I am not having trouble with 5.0 on Windows 7, should I still install the newer 5.0.2 ?

razzycat

Post by razzycat »

Installing version 5.0.2 trial won't overwrite my version 4, will it?

Sharon

lylejk

Post by lylejk »

Without installing to find out, how much does it cost to upgrade DAP4 to DAP5, Oscar? Just curious.

Also, may be a bit off topic, but it would be cool if you could come up with a way to create Found Object mosaics (but I do know your are tired at the moment). lol

Anyway, hope you get some good rest. :)

mhwarner

Post by mhwarner »

lylejk wrote:Without installing to find out, how much does it cost to upgrade DAP4 to DAP5, Oscar?
$48 plus $3.05 in tax