Help from long-term members

Discussion about Mediachance DAP
Chilly-Willy

Help from long-term members

Post by Chilly-Willy »

Guys looking for help and guidance. Having looked at members artwork, some dating back 10 years. I would be very interested in hearing what DAP presets and settings members have used to produce their artwork. Now I do understand that pre & post processing could have been a factor in creating the artwork, it has been a factor with mine. But what I have notice so far (reading through the posts) is a distinct lack of membership support (even with those members that have vast experience using DAP), to encourage newer members (like myself) in using this wonderful painting program. Hopefully I can start the ball rolling, here is an example of what could be displayed to help other members: viewtopic.php?p=37792#p37792

Looking forward to your viewpoint on this topic.
My photographs are used in the displayed artwork
rgalka

Re: Help from long-term members

Post by rgalka »

Hi..

What i can tell you is that there is no one preset for all images. I will sometimes load an image and just randomly choose a preset and occasionally the results are fabulous... so i make it a favorite and it will just not work on any other image...

I have found that a large percentage of success happens in the preprocess stage. For me at least I am not going for realism.. that's what cameras are for...

I first determine if i want to eliminate distracting detail... and that is most of the time... and/or if I want to add something to the image.. something subtle like a bird, or dramatic like mountains, or a sky replacement. Or even a complete extraction of the subject with a total background replacement.

Then i will make a few different versions... perhaps lighten and soften if I will be going for a watercolor. Maybe mess with the colors for an impressionist feel, saturate or desaturate colors etc...

But I would say that the best results are usually with the simplification of the scene and color toning of the original image help the most.
Chilly-Willy

Post by Chilly-Willy »

rgalka wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:44 pm Hi..

What i can tell you is that there is no one preset for all images. I will sometimes load an image and just randomly choose a preset and occasionally the results are fabulous... so i make it a favorite and it will just not work on any other image...

I have found that a large percentage of success happens in the preprocess stage. For me at least I am not going for realism.. that's what cameras are for...

I first determine if i want to eliminate distracting detail... and that is most of the time... and/or if I want to add something to the image.. something subtle like a bird, or dramatic like mountains, or a sky replacement. Or even a complete extraction of the subject with a total background replacement.

Then i will make a few different versions... perhaps lighten and soften if I will be going for a watercolor. Maybe mess with the colors for an impressionist feel, saturate or desaturate colors etc...

But I would say that the best results are usually with the simplification of the scene and color toning of the original image help the most.
Hi rgalka

Thanks for highlighting your workflow, I found preparing for watercolour most interesting (must try it), but not exactly what I was looking for. I hope the following image makes it clearer to you and other members.
Attachments
Demo.jpg
Demo.jpg (331.27 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
rgalka

Post by rgalka »

OK>.. well the first control Pallet has 2 functions... if you click the little white downward pointing arrow you can choose from different color pallets that the AI will use.. usually there are just the standard ones, but occasionally the creator will add more pallets. The pallets can be more than just color choices and some can dramatically change the brush behavior. [experiment] The black right pointing arrow will take you 2 a folder of paintings that DAP will use as a substitute for the drop down pallets. So for example if you choose a painting predominately blues your painting will contain mostly blues and the other colors that the painting contains.. you can also use these on a black and white image to get some interesting impressionistic coloring.

the expressive slider controls how tightly the brushes follow your image forms
the dry/wet slider controls the opacity of the brush colors so that brush strokes that overlap will blend... blue stroke over a red stroke will be purple...
The brush stroke I only know that the wheels can override the templates brush size min and max setting. the lock will lock the wheels so that moving one will move the other.. the ~ not sure. Strokes is the number of strokes that the creator set in the template that they think is the amount to get the best effect and sometimes the template will end at that number and sometimes it doesn't.. ??

Outline is just that the width of the outlining of shapes will be.. if outline is turned on within the template

Canvas size should be obvious.. clear checkbox is used if you want to run different setting over the same image.. so if you say run at small canvas size and stop it.. if checked and you start the process again with a different canvas size of even a different template the process will start without clearing the canvas.

Faithful determines how close the colors are to the original
Real surreal determines how much distortion is applied to your image.... think van gogh...

Quality vs speed determines how much time the detail brushes work on your image... the more detail the more time the process will take.. LIght speed means lowest quality.. fastest processing.

No one can give you any real advice on these settings very subjective. ;O)
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

What I do is use 4 to 6 presets and save the images that look good. I then combine (merge) them in Photoshop with the original at the end. Lautrec is a favourite as it has great line textures. I always turn down surreal as sometimes the image can get confusing and loses the details.
Chilly-Willy

Post by Chilly-Willy »

Steve Taylor wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:41 pm What I do is use 4 to 6 presets and save the images that look good. I then combine (merge) them in Photoshop with the original at the end. Lautrec is a favourite as it has great line textures. I always turn down surreal as sometimes the image can get confusing and loses the details.
Hi Steve, thanks for your input.

I understand what you are saying. BUT (and it's a big but) - you load an image into DAP:
1. what preset do you use?
2. what settings do you use?
3. how long do you let the detail process run?

Now you cannot answer these 3 questions until YOU are happy with the experimentation and the result that DAP has produced. but at this point in time if you screenshot as shown all these questions are answered. Which goes a long way in helping new members like myself. That's what my query is all about MEMBERS helping MEMBERS.
Attachments
wetonwet.jpg
wetonwet.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Chilly-Willy

Post by Chilly-Willy »

Thanks Rglaka for your brief description on the controls displayed in the painter panel, I'm sure it will be helpful to some of the newest members to the forum. I have a good knowledge about these controls, and I personally think that the Real/Surreal slider produces results more inline with Dali's work that Van Gogh. As to your last sentence 'No one can give you any real advice on these settings very subjective' although the image subject matter will be subjective - A Flower is A Flower is A Flower - Just as A Landscape is A Landscape is A Landscape - and A Portrait is A Portrait is A Portrait

What I have shown with my previous post is that it's possible to give real advice on these settings, just by grapping a screenshot and posting it.